Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring break is here. I thought I'd take some time to work on some projects that have been on hold. First, if I want to take two tractors to the SC plow day, I need two sleeve hitches. I only have one. Second, I want to take my dump Massey and modify the exhaust and the filter of the Predator engine so the hood will fit. Then I want to replace the filter and change the oil in the hydro.

Some years ago, I needed to make some fairly straight cuts in steel. I couldn't justify buying a dedicated metal chopsaw, but I either already had a sawzall or else was able to easily justify buying one. So, I created jig that would guide the edge of the sawzall, with an edge that would show me exactly where the blade was going to cut. So I pulled it out of storage and mounted it on my work table. I was able to cut all the steel to length, but that was as far as it got.

Wood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Grass Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Rolling

Attachments

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
That jig looks like it does the trick! Nice job with it, and i am looking forward to seeing this sleeve hitch finished up!

·
912 Posts
Is that Green grass I see in those pictures? Wow, I jealous. My yard is brown with white scattered about.

Reactions: HowardsMF155

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Great idea building a jig like that. That green grass does look nice. All covered in snow here for the most part. I like your loader in the background of the first picture!

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea building a jig like that. That green grass does look nice. All covered in snow here for the most part. I like your loader in the background of the first picture!
:D

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I like your jig: do you make them for people? :D

Ben W.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, the answer to that depends on whether or not you make me a copy. :smilewink:

Ben W.
I don't have the same materials I used to put that one together. Might be able to finagle something if you're serious. Could be a fun project.

Reactions: superaben

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those of you with "green envy", here is more of my yard.

Plant Property Land lot Window Grass Plant Grass Groundcover Grassland Flooring

And the rest of my impressive collection of construction equipment. As you can see, it is usefully engaged in running riot through my garden spot.

Wheel Tire Plant Green Toy

No progress today on my projects. I've had people crawling out of the woodwork since last Friday with heating and plumbing issues. Shouldn't complain since we need the money, but I had decided last year that with accumulating injuries that I needed to do something else, so I'm back in school. I was just really looking forward to spending this week working on my tractors.

Attachments

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Uncle Willie is going to put you on his list of people he hates, now that you posted a picture of all that sweet equipment! :bigrofl:

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to get a little bit done in spite of the earlier gloom. Ground a couple of edges on the stock so it is "V" ed and ready for welding. More prep work to do, plus hole drilling and getting the center pipe for the hitch pin ready.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I don't have the same materials I used to put that one together. Might be able to finagle something if you're serious. Could be a fun project.
I actually don't "need" one for as much work of that sort as I do, but it would be handy when you need it. Maybe we can work a trade out sometime when I have something you want!

Ben W.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spent the morning replacing a heat exchanger in a gas package unit. Homeowner was happy.

Came home, replaced the bad fan motor for the neighbor's heat pump. She was happy.

Worked on the sleeve hitch for a few minutes. For the hitch tube, I'm using two nested pipes. I'm going to ream out a half inch pipe to accept the hitch pin. To make sure my hitch pin stays secure, I'm putting the 1/2 inch pipe inside a 3/4 pipe. I was able to ream out the 3/4 pipe to slide the 12/ pipe in. I was happy.

Went to church tonight, helped the youth put on a Last Supper re-enactment. Everybody was happy.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Ok, spent a lot more time today on this hitch. I had planned to build the hitch up rather than try to bend it. When I measured the old hitch, it came out to about .43 inches, thicker than the 3/8ths I thought it was. So I'd already planned on doing some boxing in and reinforcing of whatever I built to make sure it was sturdy. I hadn't been able to find any scrap, and at the end of last week, while I was running to get HVAC parts for someone, I realized the universe was telling me it was time to buy the steel I needed. Why? Because the only place that had the motor I needed was about 1 block away from the steel supplier that I otherwise don't go any where near.

I bought 1/4 x 2 inch and decided to double the sides up, then box the rear in. Here is how the day went:

First, I reamed out the 1/2 inch pipe. This is black iron, the kind you run gas in, so no dangerous galvanizing fumes.

Wood Bumper Vise Gas Hardwood

Got the pipe reamed out so the pin fits. Cut to length, ready to go:

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Valve Plumbing fitting Wood

Welding the top plate to the back plate. I figured starting here would give me the best foundation to build it true.

Tool Gas Wood Machine Composite material

Here, the first layer of arms is welded up.

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Here is the nearly completed hitch:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Here is the completed hitch hooked to the plow:

Wood Grass Motor vehicle Groundcover Gas

I missed captioning the completed parts. Here they are, ready to be fitted into place and welded.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did NOT attempt to duplicate the Massey hitch pattern. I decided to build one shorter. I have retained the distance between the lifting points and the pivot points, so it shouldn't affect overall movement, but I'm hoping that moving the implement a little closer to the tractor will make the plow easier to lift when its got weight on it.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
I just looked at the pictures again, is that just a file chucked into the drill?

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like it came out pretty good!
Thanks Ryan. Now that I'm done with it, I think if I had to do it again I'd have gone ahead and used heavier steel in the first place. Doubling up the 1/4 inch just meant I had to drill all the holes twice, had to make all the cuts twice, and in addition I had to do extra beveling due to welding the two 1/4 arms together on each side. I was just really concerned about being able to use the tools I had on 1/2 inch thick steel.

Plus, now I'm going to want to do extra grinding to smooth it down a bit more and make it prettier. Well, live and learn.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts