Garden Tractor Forums banner

Started 78 gt18 restoration today

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Tecumseh power 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Started ripping it apart today got it running good need to rip the rear end out and see why it is grinding when you put it in gear I have an extra if I need to swap it. I build engines for caterpillar I took this one apart to check it out the oh180 looks like new inside which is good.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Machine tool

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I turned the pics for ya. I think the SS's came with the Onan's or it might have been an option?

Reactions: Tecumseh power
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm kind of glad it has the tec. It's hard to get parts for the tec they don't make pistons or rings anymore, but there are companies who will make you a custom piston, and I know how to make rings I have to make them at work for old cat stuff. I could probably make a piston there too. The onan I hear is hard to get parts for too. So I'm glad it has the tec it is different than most of them that's what I like. That cast iron engine is heavy I put it on my work bench it was probably 100 pounds at least. I have an 83 gt 18 with a twin briggs so I guess I need a single. I rebuild alot of tecumseh motors at my home gas engine shop so I guess it fits me

#8 ·
Your 78 gt18 came with an OHV Tec? Is that factory? Guess I thought they all came with the Onan twin.
I turned the pics for ya. I think the SS's came with the Onan's or it might have been an option?
Yes in 78 and/or 79, the Tecumseh OH180 was an option on the "GT18". I would imagine it made them a little cheaper so Sears could sell more tractors if people couldn't afford the Onan models. Not a whole lot out there though.

I bought a couple tractors off a guy, he had two of them.

I am like you Gary, I like the old Tecs. They are about all I own and I've learned them so fits me. They vibrate a little more than I like, but good old working motors.

#9 ·
Got some more work done on this one it will be done soon!!! Got the harness in, I had to make a new one, got all the stuff underneath back in, just have to put the oh180 back on and the rest of the body work

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP
#11 ·
Thanks kenny, it was alot of work. I'm slow right now with my small engine shop so I have had alot of time to work on it. Probably would have taken me a year if I was busy

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got some more done today, about had a heart attack when the starter wouldn't work. But the block wasn't grounding through the new paint . Got my motor on and my muffler that I hand made. Sorry the one pic is side ways

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.