Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
tinkerer
2,323 Posts
I have had good luck removing blind bushings by "hydraulic pressure".
Fill the bushing and hole with regular axle grease.
Using a steel rod that is a snug fit in the bushing, set it in a press or a vice and push the rod into the bushing.
This tries to compress the grease and the pressure will push the bushing up out of the hole.

·
4,471 Posts
Bigdaddydon said:
Question #2. What is the best way to clean the housing and the pole shoes?
Electrical cleaner in a spray can or paint thinner is what I would recommend. NO WATER based products. There are hard to get out (dry) completely.

Reactions: Bolens 1000

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,235 Posts
Bigdaddydon said:
Question #1. What is the best way to remove this bushing? View attachment 27626
Another method to remove a bushing from a blind hole is to thread the bushing with a bottoming tap, then use a bolt threaded in to "walk" the bushing out.

Of course, the inside diameter of the bushing and the diameter of the tap must be close in size.

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I broke it.:mecry: I used a 5/8 tap to get the old bushing out. That went very smooth. Then I used a plastic spacer and a rubber mallet to unsert the new bushing. After a test fit the bushing needed to be sunk in another tap or two. Well it should have been just one because on the second tap I felt it give.:wallbanging:
I tried to line it back up but it is apparently slightly off. If I hand tighten the housing screws the bushing is put in a bind and the armature will not spin.
Bottom line, anybody have one for sale?:help:
Prefferably just the aluminum plate.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts