Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2005 craftsman lawn tractor. Battery is fully charged. Get click when trying to start. Put on a new solenoid. no change. If I jump the terminals on the solenoid, she cranks fine. Does this mean I have a faulty ignition switch or a faulty safety switch? Appreciate any guidance.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Welcome to GT Talk :)

Use a multi meter or a test light to see if you are getting power to the small wire on the solenoid when you turn the key to the start position. If not, do the same check at the key switch. if you have power at the switch but not the solenoid then move on to check your safety switches.

Also make sure that the body of the solenoid is properly grounded as well as the connection from battery to ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Achto! Power was at the ign sw, so I tried to jump that, heard a zap, now no power at ign sw. My own fault. I think its time to take it in to someone more knowledgeable than me.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
You probably just blew a fuse. It may be in the form of a fuse able wire. Just replace the fuse and start over. I suspect that your new solenoid is defective or poorly grounded. Check the ground from the battery to the frame. A poor ground in a system can drive you crazy until you find it. The cost of the professional will be a lot more than buying a good multimeter and downloading a toubleshooting guide from our manuals section. Learning to do it yourself is a worthwhile way to spend some time. Good Luck, Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts