Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to restore this 1250 with the wisconsin 12d motor. I am in the middle of getting running. I have cleaned the fuel system and replace the fuel pump. Only way I can get it to start is covering the carburetor like you are fully choking it you have to press pretty hard and it will run for as long as you keep your hand there. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Sounds like there is a problem with the carb. Take it off and soak it good, then clean it, probably will need a kit.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Welcome to GTT. My favorite tractors are my Bolens 1250s. I agree with above but also suggest that you look for a vacuum leak too. If you need manuals go to our Manuals Section. Post clear pics if you want us to take a look. Good Luck, Rick

·
Registered
263 Posts
Valves ok?

Sum one told me they need to be good so the engine sucks well

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
:welcometogttalk:

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
If you ued the old carb to intake gasket, put a film of gun grease on both side to help seal it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If the engine runs with your hand tight over the carb it is obviously getting air some where other than through the carb. This = massive vacuum leak. Could be around throttle and or the choke shaft but I would suspect gasket between the carb and block, or possibly all of the previously mentioned. In order for the engine to get enough air to run and not just choke out the leak must be massive. This may well not be your only problem. Don

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Good way to check for a vacuum leak is to take carb, brake cleaner, or the like, and spray it over all the joints, and shafts while the engine is at idle. If you have a leak, the RPM will change.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts