Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rebuilding the front axle to my 1968 MF 12 hydro today. I was feeling really good, because I'd saved a LOT of money on bushings ($1.29 ea at local bearing place VS $24 ea at Massey) and on front wheel bearings. The place that helped me save so much money was my local bearing shop, Applied Industrial Technologies, very helpful people. Everything was going well, and I was tightening the steering arm to hold it in place and the casting CRACKED right along the keyway. Now I need a new steering arm, preferably used because a new one at Jack's is over $80.00. Does anyone have one? I'll try to post a picture if that will help. Or, does anyone think that a welding shop could do something for less than that?

Thanks,
Howard

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, no chance to get a picture today. Kid's school starts WAY to early, then some productive moving, followed by an expensive bolt through my truck tire and an opportunity to sell a car left no time to take a picture, let alone post it.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a moment today to take and upload pictures of the part I need a lead on. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Howard

Attachments

·
173 Posts
I am pretty sure it CAN be welded. I don't know on prices since I would try it by myself.

You could also weld 2 thick flatbars one on each side of the crack and add a screw like the other side to hold the crack closed.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like either cast aluminum or something like zinc metal. I think if it had been steel it would not have cracked. I AM thinking of doing some fabricating, but would prefer to have the real thing IF it is available for a reasonable price. I am not a collecter, just want something that will work, but I've learned over the years that the factory made stuff usually works best.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
It can be welded.

·
202 Posts
I have one that is slightly tweaked but not cracked. A guy could probably warm it up and lift it up a little to get it back in original shape.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks MF10,

I think I've got one on the way from a helpful member on-site here. I'll post here again if the one coming doesn't work out for some reason. Thanks very much for the offer.

Howard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts