Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,481 Posts
If you can get one under the wheel far enough to engage the metal inside the wheel it should come. Than hook a bar puller to that.
I am able to do that on Masseys.
Put the nut back on the shaft flush with the threads and if the shaft is hollow use a small piece of metal over that to protect the threads.

CUTOFF WHEEL

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Last one I did, I took a short pc. of pipe (about 1" long) having ID close to OD of steering tube. I slit that pipe in half,
and tucked it up under the wheel so it contacted steel hub. Held the slit pipe in place with a hose clamp. Then used
puller. Also did same as Ducky described with the nut and plate. Come to think of it, I welded a pin to the bottom
of the steel plate, that fit into the shaft, and ground a concave in the top of the plate. That helped the puller from
wandering off.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I picked up one of the bearing separator kits from Harbor Freight. They had it on sale for $49 which was normally $59. Works perfect for getting behind the steering wheel and catching the metal part of the hub to get something good to pull on. I figured the bearing separator was a good investment because I don't see garden tractors leaving our future and will always have steering wheels to pull off.

Like Ducky said, if it is a hollow steering column keep the nut at the top and put a plat(e) to keep it from messing up the threads.

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George, what's a "plat"? :smilewink:

My nephew manages a company that services/installs lift booms on trucks. He has one of those seperators and I'm going to try it on my "good" steering wheel this weekend. If it works like I hope, I too will probably invest in one of the HF versions.

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know what I mean.... I should have quoted it. (Of course, as an admin I'm sure you could have corrected that as well; at least, that's what I do on sites I moderate! :smilewink:)

Rich

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
DMF said:
You know what I mean.... I should have quoted it. (Of course, as an admin I'm sure you could have corrected that as well; at least, that's what I do on sites I moderate! :smilewink:)

Rich
All in good fun :D

I have missed quoting several posts before they were fixed and couldn't be proven LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts