Garden Tractor Forums banner

Suburban final drive

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DChappy 
#1 ·
I'm finally getting around to disassembling the final drive of my '59 to reseal it. The right rear axle seal had obviously leaked at some point judging by the oil and dirt packed brake hub, as well as the case gasket at a spot or two. Although in the few months I've owned it, the case has been full and it has not leaked a drop...

I have all the manuals for it downloaded-thanks to the fine folks here!-but I haven't been able to find the info I need. There appears to be 2 dowel (locating) pins in the bigger case on almost opposite ends of the half. Service manual says remove 7 bolts, which I have, but there are also two shorter bosses in which these pins would be in. I have freed up the lower (axle) half of the case where one of these pins? is located, but on the upper end I'm guessing the pin is rusted and seized to the case half.

I just need someone to verify my thoughts before I go and break an unobtainable part! I'm thinking some heat and gentle prodding with my mini sledge might be the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.