Garden Tractor Forums banner

swapping front axle's

816 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TravelinJavelin 
#1 ·
hey currious has anyone here ever swapped out a front axle on there xl or medium frame and slide in a cast iron one in will the qt series fit xl?

#4 ·
The cast iron front axle is much more heavy duty than the stamped. I don't know how close of a fit they would be to interchange but that is a really good idea if it works. Try comparing the part list from the qt and the eliminator to get an idea of what is major different. Perhaps you can get away with it I'd be curious.

#5 ·
well I did see one major thing between the 2 the qt's main frame where the engine sits in the frame flares outward to make room for the bigger twins and big k series 341 which I was concerned more than anything.........then instead of having a cradle the engine sits in like xl series the QT series motor mounts are rubber mounted that sit on the frame itself

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
well I did see one major thing between the 2 the qt's main frame where the engine sits in the frame flares outward to make room for the bigger twins and big k series 341 which I was concerned more than anything.........then instead of having a cradle the engine sits in like xl series the QT series motor mounts are rubber mounted that sit on the frame itself
Serious axles on the QT's. Will be great if you can use one.

My QT engines all sit in cradles, same as the XL's. Not sure what you were looking at. The tops of the cradles use rubber mounts. The engines are bolted onto the base of the cradle frame. Same thing. Paul

#7 ·
There is a considerable difference between the Q Series and XL frames. It would likely take some significant modification to adapt the Q series axle support bolster and axle. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. The Q Series frame also seems to be a bit heavier than the XL.

Personally I think you'd be better off finding a complete QS/QT frame and going from there.

#8 ·
yeah I have been debating that but qt's and qs's are far and few around me that's why i'm going through all this but anyways there paulgo I was looking into the image pages and where the engines sit even though there's a cradle the frame has a flare out where the xl don't ...........my whole purpose and intensions to see to incorporate a k series kohler k341 inparticular without a whole lot of modds to do it..... then I read where that the k341 won't work in a standard xl frame due to that there 4" longer or wider? and 2" in the other direction bigger than the Tecumseh base oh 160's now if I could find a roller qt or qs frame assembly i'd be all over it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.