Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our 24' above ground pool for about 15 years now, and I decided I'm finished with all the work it takes to maintain one. I had already pumped it down to about 4" deep, so about an hour ago I started wrecking it. Good thing I took it down anyway, as the base ring was just about rusted away, and rusted bad around the skimmer attachment point. I will be glad not to have to mess with this thing any more. Still kinda sad to see it go due to memories of the kids having so much fun over the years in it, but they're grown & the pool hardly ever got used.

Word of warning to anyone thinking about getting a pool.........DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!

Plant Mesh Fence Wire fencing Grass
Slope Wood Window Mesh Building

Attachments

G

·
pools top the list of things I would not take for free. I have been offered a few "If want to haul it off, you can have it", I always decline. Same goes with hot tubs ,horses and boats. GTs are a different story!

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Grandson Case would have loved it by this summer, but the pool also could have been dangerous even with the ladder put away. He's already getting very good at climbing & he's not quite 3yrs old. It's just not worth the risk. We watch him like a hawk, but it worried me still.

They're almost like a boat as far as expense, and fun verses work rate.

·
Tractorholic
1,711 Posts
Had For a few years and I wont have another one. If I need one wally world sells a little kit for under $400, its disposable and last a few years.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a round fiberglass bottom from a cow feeder tank that I will fill for Case to cool off in this summer. It is almost 2' deep and about 6' across, so it'll make a great pool for a little guy, and not so much hassle to deal with.

·
253 Posts
Wow, I have little problem maintaining my pool. My only problem is the trees have grown taller over the years and it doesn't get enough sun to warm up a lot. I don't find it much work or expense at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me either. We have a 33x18' pool and it really doesn't take too much to maintain, in fact I often enjoy getting in after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.

·
Tractorholic
952 Posts
My dad had an above ground pool, and I didn't mind doing the cleaning and maintenance. The thing is that I like to dive into ten feet of water, so if I'm giving up a big chunk of yard space I'm getting an in-ground pool. Of course I can't afford an in-ground pool, so I'm not getting a pool at all. I have been known to drive my tractor through the sprinkler though.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Daniel, you indeed removed the pool, no doubt. I see that you also cleverly installed the ******* mud pit just like the one I saw on Honey Boo Boo. :rolling:

Two best days of boat owner ship, the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

It seems to apply to pools too. The day it's installed and the day it's decommissioned.

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
Now you gotta put some rails up where the pool used to be to keep folks from stepping off the edge of the deck.

Reactions: WNYTractorTinkerer

·
Tractorholic
1,564 Posts
Word of warning to anyone thinking about getting a pool.........DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!
We had an in-ground at our home before we bought this place and built the house. I swore I would never have another one. It's not the cost, it's the work involved. We have a hot tub now and it's good on the old bones (heavy on the old) and not much trouble.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got most of the sand pushed up into a pile. My plan is to do some more dirt work up near the house to get a gentler slope, then lay down gravel, landscape fabric, then sand, then paver stones to build a patio area for the wifey.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Congratulations Daniel. We (Dad and I) installed an in ground 18x36 pool in 1977. I remember the year because I got a brand new Suzuki TS250 and it sat there by the pool while I mixed cement and built fencing etc. all that summer. In the end I couldn't enjoy it as it turns out I have a sensitivity to chlorine that would make my skin itch and my eyes water. It was a big draw for all the neighbourhood kids though and my younger sister and brother both got lots of fun out of it. I had the fun of vacuuming it for several years. When my parents sold the house the pool was a liability but eventually they sold it. The next people who bought that house bull dosed the pool into the hole and filled over it. End of story.

·
JD,junkie
777 Posts
we have a 30' above ground pool like yours and im so sick of this pool i cant stand it . we have had this thing for 8-9 years it cost between 5-800 dollars a summer ( 4 months ) to keep it running . last summer it almost went i think this summer it is going . hours and hours getting it ready and they were in it like 5 times . the local pool is much cheaper or pond-creek-river . i second Daniel , if your thinking about getting one DONT DO IT

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Pool, aka "Money Pit". We've had for 15yrs or better. New liner last year, professionally put in. I don't deal with it, Wife's duty. She and Grandkids only ones who go in it and that isn't much anymore. Chemicals got expensive, till someone mentioned some that are used in Ponds. Don't know chemical name. Just a little handful of granuals and a Chlorine tab once a week or so and she stays real clear.This year is first time it was clear, others was always cloudy, no matter what we did. My job is to keep the pump set-up and running and mechanical set-up and packing in fall. I might go in it once or twice all year, don't like water that much. Won't be another if this thing dies tho. Always wanted to drive my 54 Chevy 2-ton thru it, just for fun and neat Ending of it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts