Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

My snowblower for my medium frame tractor (model 18311) has a tensioning block to take up slack on the snowblower chain. In the parts diagrams, it is part number 1726829. The one in the snowblower is worn and I have no more adjustment to take up slack. The block I took out is a plastic disk, 2" in dia and 1.1" thick with a 3/8 hole in it, and appears to be nylon. Is this really what is supposed to be in there?

The block has a steel spacer on each side, with a bolt running through all three, and a nut with a lockwasher on the end of the bolt. When you tighten the lockwasher down, it squeezes the spacers against the block. The parts break down seems to agree with this, but I would have thought that the block being round, would be better rotating.

I looked at my large frame and tube frame snowblowers, but neither have the tensioning block in the design.

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct set up?

Thanks,

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
i know on my sears unit its stationary and the hole is off set for adjusting tension on chain. I repaired the wear grooves on mine with JB weld,,not sure how long that will last....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
I turned one out of a piece of Delrin , it's made for heavy load mechanical applications. I also turned a brass sleeve to fit inside the roller about .030 longer then the roller width so I can crank the bolt down tight and the roller turns the way it should have been made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys,

If I leave the block loose enough to turn, I can't tighten up the bolt enough to keep tension on the chain. I was thinking along the same lines as Bill mentioned about adding a sleeve for the block to turn on, but still being able to tighten the location down for chain tension.

I have a piece of nylon at work, and think I will turn a larger dia block out of it, to give me more adjustment leeway. I tried UHMW, but it is too soft, and the chain ate it up quickly. I'm sure it would have lasted better spinning rather than stationary. I thought of Delrin, but don't seem to have any left that is large enough.

Thanks again!

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gents,

Here is what I have done.

I turned a new tensioner block out of what I think is Delrin. I drilled a piece of 5/8 ground shafting for the bolt, and counter bored the sides of the tensioner block for a washer to keep the block centered on the shafting. I will use the factory spacers against the washers. The drilled shafting is longer than the distance between the counter bores, so that the block will rotate. I made the block 2.6" in dia. rather than the original 2" to give me more adjustment. I will put this on the snowblower today to finish up my snow removal.

I have attached a pic of the new parts with the old one.

Regards,

D.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gents,

The block was too big at 2.6", so I cut it down to 2.4, which in this snow blow is the max size. I could have cut it down to 2.3 and given it a bit of clearance from the snowblower.

In the course of fitting the block up, I noticed that the small sprocket was worn. When I started to disassemble the shaft, worn became an understatement! I ordered a new sprocket, and when I proceeded to change it out, discovered the end of the shaft had split along the edge of the woodruff keyway. The other end of the shaft was welded to a 3 pronged driver.

I put the shaft in the lathe, and bored out the 3 pronged driver to 11/16, so that I would have a shoulder for the driver to register against on the new shaft. The shaft is 3/4 dia.. Cut the keyway in the new shaft and turned the other end down to 11/16 for the driver. Talked a friend in to welding the driver to the new shaft.

I replaced the bearing, since on disassembly, I discovered it was pretty sloppy.

The large sprocket is worn and will need replacing. The chain could stand it also.

I have attached two images.

4166 shows the 2 pronged driver, and the round object near it is the old sprocket.

The second image shows the split end of the shaft.

100_4166.JPG

100_4167.JPG

I tried the snowblower out tonight with fresh material that nature graciously supplied for the test, and the snowblower is back to working well. I still have more to do, but fall sped by and winter caught me unprepared.

Regards,

Doug
 

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top