Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday we signed the deal for a new shop to be built on site. It is going to be 20 X 26 on a concrete slab. A small local company is doing the work. When they were out here a week or so ago looking over where a I wanted the shop it was decided that some dirt would have to be brought in for grading. Well this morning at 8:30 AM we were just waking up and I heard all this noise out side. I jump up and there are 2 trucks dumping dirt. Needless to say I didn't expect things to start happening this quickly.

It will still take a while, they are ordering the building today and it will probably be Feb. before they put it up. I'm going to try and take pictures and update this thread as it progresses. I won't know how to act with all that space.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
That's great. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your new shop. Are you having any special features added?

·
Tractorholic
8,385 Posts
Can't wait to see more of your new shop ! How high are you going ? I wish we didn't have a 15' high restriction where we live , I would have loved to have a full 2nd floor for storage . Al

·
Collector of stuff
1,813 Posts
:thumbs: :thumbs: Glad you are getting some shop space. Will enjoy watching things happen so take lots of pics as things progress. :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Congrats Bill. I'm sure you will enjoy the new shop. I find I have trouble with getting enough light in my garage. Make sure you have lots of light and a way to add more if you need it.

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
Congrats on the building, Bill! I'd be happy with something like that!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Ditto all of that, especially the plug-ins. Twice as many as you think you'll need will probably just about do it! Can you get running water piped in---- that's unbelievably handy if it's possible to do. The only thing greater than working on a new shop is playing in it! Congratulations.

·
436 Posts
Not sure if it the case where you live but a lot of times the "height restriction" has to do with the available fire fighting equipment. The town that I live in has a couple of ladder trucks but they can only reach up to the 3rd-4th floor so they wont let anyone build a building taller than they can SAFELY and EFFECTIVELY fight a fire in.

·
8,677 Posts
It is going to be a metal building with an 9 X 8 Roll up, a walk through door and one window. Only a single story. They are just doing the slab and shell then my son and I will be finishing it. So I can put in as many outlet's, lights etc as I want. I'm on a tight budget so I will have to prioritize what gets done first and then add to it as we go along.

I had a 30 X 25 at the old house and I have really missed not having a bigger shop, I've been working out of a 10 X 25, so I'm excited to be getting a bigger one.

I forgot to add the walls will be 8' high and then the pitch of the roof.

·
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Business or personal shop? Looking forward to pics.
A little of both. I work on small engines for something to do and I also buy used GT's, LT's and mowers fix them up and then resell them and from time to time I find something I really like or could use I just keep it. I also hope to be able to work on the cars more and save some $$$. We have a dirt / gravel drive way and I have never enjoyed working on the cars out there.

Reactions: larryd
1 - 20 of 89 Posts