Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Oh, that's to bad. I liked his music. Just listening to him a few weeks ago.

Noel

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,772 Posts
Yup, I dig "the Hag", he will be missed----I played "Silver Wings" on my ipod soon as i got home from work tonight.

DAC

·
1,772 Posts
Nice to know some of the young folks like you Adam, appreciate this kind of music. It is disappearing fast. Sounds like Glen Campbell's days are drawing to a close soon too.

DAC

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to know some of the young folks like you Adam, appreciate this kind of music. It is disappearing fast. Sounds like Glen Campbell's days are drawing to a close soon too.

DAC
I have my dad to thank for that, we always had a few tapes in his car and his old f250, still keep a few in the van on long road trips. The console in my truck contains about 20 cassette tapes from various artists, plan on putting a xm radio in it as well, ad just running it through the tape player with an adapter so I can listen to the old music more.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Merle, Buck Owens, Freddie Hart and others, created that great Bakersfield sound. Songs like Tulare dust, spoke to being raised in San Joaquin Valley farm country, where poor farm workers, much like other areas with poor people struggling, such as the Misdissippi delta, the Appalachian region, etc... gave rise to music from the heart. Merle will be missed.

·
1,772 Posts
I have my dad to thank for that, we always had a few tapes in his car and his old f250, still keep a few in the van on long road trips. The console in my truck contains about 20 cassette tapes from various artists, plan on putting a xm radio in it as well, ad just running it through the tape player with an adapter so I can listen to the old music more. was my influence on the country side
I love the ipod! The hand-me-down setup I have can be played in any vehicle with an FM radio and a cigarette lighter wireless.

If you just want to listen to Merle, just pick him for the artist and that's what it plays, not what someone else thinks you should listen to like a radio station---even xm satellite. My wife has an xm subscription in her car but to me it makes more sense to spend the bucks on the ipod and put what you want on it. This pic is playing an ipod in my '55 GMC.

DAC

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hey Dac I still have my old Ipod Classic about 3500 songs on there including most everything MH made. He was definitely a legend that not only made some of the best music but was an American Patriot. He actually grew up living in a box car. Will be missed.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I too love those good old country boys and their music. Merl had his own style and have lot of his work on tape that have been copied to CD's. Not in to the IPod, smart phones and all that hi tech stuff so just use my CD's. Blank CD's at lot less expensive than another machine that can quit at any time you end up with nothing. MH will be missed but truly never forgotten.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm not a dyed in the wool country music fan, I'm more likely to listen to Jimmy Buffett than Little Jimmy Dickens, but guys like Merle crossed the lines of music, he, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Waylon, etc.,., had appeal to many none country fans. Their music was closely kin to music from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels. It wasn't all country, not rock, not really southern rock either, but just what I call American music.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the ipod! The hand-me-down setup I have can be played in any vehicle with an FM radio and a cigarette lighter wireless.

If you just want to listen to Merle, just pick him for the artist and that's what it plays, not what someone else thinks you should listen to like a radio station---even xm satellite. My wife has an xm subscription in her car but to me it makes more sense to spend the bucks on the ipod and put what you want on it. This pic is playing an ipod in my '55 GMC.

DAC
I have an MP3 player that I can use in the truck, I got the XM because I get sick of the local stations that seem to only play the top 20 over and over, I have several Merle Haggard cassettes in the truck already, BTW- an MP3 or IPOD is considered an handheld device in NY and they can ticket you for using one while driving.

·
Registered
140 Posts
RIP Merle, grew up listing to him on vinyl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.