7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a supplier in mind for those really thin spacer/washers
that are sometimes needed behind the front rims? It would be nice to have a
kit/selection on hand.

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Will, do you have a "FASTENAL",they have SAE, USS, and acouple of metric washers that will all be different O.D. and thickness.

Reactions: IamSherwood

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All those front axles are 3/4" dia.(MF7-16) I'd say a 1 1/4" or 1 3/16" OD washer selection of various thicknesses
would be handy. There's always a bit of side slop in those front wheels, which would be nice to get rid of.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
My local Home Depot usually carries 1/2, 3/4 and 1" ID spacers/shim washers. I needed a 1"ID shim for my PTO clutch and had some of them on hand. They were .030". I have also used these on the 1" front spindles of the JD314 to take up most of the side to side movement in the front wheels.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, sounds like everybody has them.
I guess I gotta go to town more than twice a year.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
They also have laminated shims that you can peel down to the thickness you need. Just to find tune it!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
FirefyterEmt said:
They also have laminated shims that you can peel down to the thickness you need. Just to find tune it!
where did you find the laminated shims?

·
Registered
215 Posts
i have used stainless steel washers for that purpose , they are a lot thinner than standard steel washers and are available in the nut and bolt racks at home depot . in a pinch i have used pieces of old leather boots or gloves cut into washer shape to take up slack soaked in oil or grease so it doesnt harden up . leather is also the original friction material , works well with hi temp epoxy to redo the brake bands on low speed drum brakes like a lot of these tractors have , Just ask the next 150 year old cowboy you see what he uses on his buckboard.......... :]

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leather. Ahhh great idea.
Now I won't have to go to town. Thanks.

The wife isn't using her winter gloves right now anyways.
Last summer I was rebuilding the rototiller for the MF12. Needed some felt for a seal.
Her boot liner worked just fine.

·
Tractorholic
1,564 Posts
One of these days she's going to get you for that................and the cost will be high. No need to ask how I know.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tinnern said:
One of these days she's going to get you for that................and the cost will be high. No need to ask how I know.
Oh, I know that, but as the saying goes, No guts, no glory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts