Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This lever behind the PTO lever on my 1000 moves the drive belt idler pulley back and forth, disengage/engage. I can't seem to find another one with this setup. Anybody know what it's purpose is? Thanks.

IMG_20160924_214806.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Traill95

·
Registered
813 Posts
Are you saying his tractor is not what he thinks it is. I am not familiar with the hi low on the right , I repaired my neighbors tube frame last year and his lever was on the left but I could not identify the tractor because it was to cobbled together and all the markings had been long since removed. If the lever is moving the drive belt idler doesn't that lead to being for hi low operation or do some tube frames have a belt idler disengagement lever for some other reason?

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,267 Posts
Some tube-frames (600-650-750-800-850-853-855-900-1055) changed high-low range by moving the drive belt idler pulley from one belt to the other. .....These models had an engine pulley with two different diameters for the tractor drive.

Other tube-frame models (1000-1050-1053-1054-1220-1253-1254-1255-1453) changed high-low range by moving the small lever (in front of the seat pan, to the right of the gearshift), which changed gears inside the transaxle. ...Many of these models had a dual-belt drive, but both engine pulley grooves for the tractor drive were the same diameter, and both belts were under constant tension.

None of the tube-frames came from the factory equipped with both set-up as the pic above shows.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I have a 1256 that was cobbled too. The PTO lever don't move forward and back but does tighten and loosen the main drive belt. Re-motored and some other changes made also. Has Hi-Lo transaxle.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's on a long rod that hooks to the drive belt idler pulley and loosens/tightens the belts. I'll post a couple more pics.

·
DR. Bolens
19,077 Posts
That makes no sense! Wonder what the guy was trying to accomplish, cant be for cold starting as you can push the clutch to lessen the engine load

Does that idler have a spring load on it for constant tension? Almost looks like the 1716728 tension spring broke and he either didnt want to put it back on or spend $8 to buy a new one so he made a lever to apply tension to the belts????

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope no spring, just uses friction to keep it locked over.

·
DR. Bolens
19,077 Posts
Nope no spring, just uses friction to keep it locked over.
That's probably what it was then, guy was either too cheap to buy a new one or didnt want to take the battery and tray out to get a new one in there, so made an elaborate contraption to fix the problem LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts