Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
Great looking job. Now you got me wondering. I’ve got a few that do that shaking back and forth. I might try that fix.
I’m the type that will take something apart and see if I can fix it. Have done that to many ignition switches and cleaned up the points and lube up stuff. They then work. If not then I buy one, maybe.
Took the selector switch on my dryer apart because of trouble. Just points in there. Cleaned them up and it’s working fine. That was about 5 years ago.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
I took this hour meter apart when I got this Case 446. Was not operating. Just like a like clock in there. Can’t remember what I did to fix it, but it’s been working for two years now.

Noel

Attachments

· Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
I’d like to get this amp meter working. But it’s in a place that requires a lot of stuff to be removed to get to it. I’m just not up to that yet.

Noel

Attachments

· Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
It might be just a wire off or not even hooked up Dave. It’s the getting to it that’s nasty. Hydraulic tank has to come out and not sure what else. The older Case which I have is much easier to get to under the dash. The hydraulic tank is at the front of the tractor in it.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
Does the tractor keep the battery charged? I suspect it must, or you would have torn into it by now to see why. Maybe the gauge is just stuck? Or like you said not wired correctly. Sounds like a good project for a cold weekend out in the shop with nothing better to do. Nice warm fire in the stove, beverage of choice, some good music playing.
Yes it does keep the battery charged Dave. Just something simple I’m sure. Some day I will get to it.
As Stew mentioned about fixing things, I learned from my father that you repair the part, make the part, buy a used part, go with out the part and only if you have to, buy a new part. I enjoy taking stuff apart an see if I can fix it. I figure, it’s already broke, I really can’t make it any broker. Hehe.
I’ve fixed a lot of stuff over the years.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
My parents were born in the early 1900’s, so they went though the same times with low on money. Quite a change today for some.
Hehe, I remember dad use to take the electric frying pans to the garage to fix when they broke. Made a hair dryer out of some metal, an old oil blower motor for a fan and coiled wire in a tube to glow red and blow the heat out. Was adjustable up and down. It sat on the counter, you could move it to where you want and plug it in, was about a foot tall and the fan and tube was about a foot long. There was no buying a hair dryer. Mostly used stuff to make it
Wish I had it now. For a keep sake.

Noel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts