Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

A Little Off Plumb
Looks like you did a very nice job and the amp meter should now be very easy to read. I removed the bezel and glass on the hour meter on my HT23 years ago - use a small pair of vise crips that I modified the jaws on and it did not too bad a job. Not sure I would attempt a repair like that now as my eyesight and hand steadiness are not what they once were. Could this be the start of a sideline hobby business for you? Years ago there were companies that would repair car gauges and speedometers but not sure if very many are left anymore.

Hour Meter Repair Attempt On A Bolens HT-23

A Little Off Plumb
So in a nutshell I messed around half the afternoon and saved myself $12.99! Maybe. 馃槀
12.99 X 50 = 649.50 which could help purchase another tractor, attachment or parts - 49 more afternoons to go. :whistle:

A Little Off Plumb
I read your thread about the repairs of the hour meter. I had never seen it before. They both look better but aren't going to win any prizes. Plenty good enough for a worker tractor as viewed from a few feet away. LOL
The hour meter does not look perfect around the bezel either but it was good enough for me. I did find a new replacement gauge that looked identical as the one that Bolens used but it was about $100.00 which is why I decided to attempt and repair the old one.

A Little Off Plumb
Well, $100 for a replacement, I can understand the motivation to attempt a repair. And to think my motivation was only $12.99! I must look like a total cheapskate! :unsure:
I never judge someone trying to save a dollar - if the people in government thought about saving money there might be a lot less debt and also a lot less poverty. I was always taught to repair rather than replace if it made more economic sense, to learn about an item or if I wanted to challenge myself by my mom and dad who had both grew up during the 1930's when things were tight (things like shoes were an option during the summer). Nothing wrong with attempting a repair - sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not. While 12.99 seems like a small amount of money to most people to me it represents a value that can either be spent (in which case the money is gone and not available to purchase anything else with) or left in my wallet (in which case I can spend it later on something else) to hang on to - a small "common sense" logic that has served me well over the years. If you save enough small amounts they add up to a large amount that can come in handy on a rainy day - just my thoughts. If things keep getting expensive (like fuel and food) you may be glad you were a spend thrift at times.

A Little Off Plumb
Those may be more valuable than you think to someone who is looking for an original amp gauge for a Bolens tractor as it looks like the lowest range amp gauge Stewart Warner now offer for sale new is 0 to 20 amps. The gauges on two of my tube frame tractors are original I believe and both say Stewart Warner on them so I am thinking that is likely where Bolens got them form during production of the tractors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts