Garden Tractor Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,760 Posts
My parents were born in the early 1900’s, so they went though the same times with low on money. Quite a change today for some.
Hehe, I remember dad use to take the electric frying pans to the garage to fix when they broke. Made a hair dryer out of some metal, an old oil blower motor for a fan and coiled wire in a tube to glow red and blow the heat out. Was adjustable up and down. It sat on the counter, you could move it to where you want and plug it in, was about a foot tall and the fan and tube was about a foot long. There was no buying a hair dryer. Mostly used stuff to make it
Wish I had it now. For a keep sake.

Noel

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,703 Posts
Those may be more valuable than you think to someone who is looking for an original amp gauge for a Bolens tractor as it looks like the lowest range amp gauge Stewart Warner now offer for sale new is 0 to 20 amps. The gauges on two of my tube frame tractors are original I believe and both say Stewart Warner on them so I am thinking that is likely where Bolens got them form during production of the tractors.

·
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I did happen to notice that there weren't any offerings of new gauges in the 10-0-10 range. Quite a few used ones listed that were claiming to be from a Bolens though.Probably were, looked like it. It would be a roll of the dice buying a used gauge. How well does it function? How long will it last? I guess that's why the prices started at $9.99. I was ready to click on a used one at $12.99 when I had the brainstorm about trying to fix one of the ones I already have. Who knows, maybe I will have to yet. I think that Stewart Warner might have supplied the gauges to Ford Motor Co. that were installed in tractors. The gauges in the 861 tractor dad had sure looked like a SW offering but didn't have the SW on the face like some of the Bolens gauges did. The gauge in my mutt tractor doesn't have the SW logo on the face but it did have Sterart Warner in small letters near the outer edge of the face. You have to look close to read it.

·
Super Moderator
14,154 Posts
Nice job on the gauge. I recently retired after 39 years of maintaining laboratory equipment and instrumentation. I’ve repaired numerous gauges/ meter movements over the years and it’s not easy. You’ve done a great job on the entire restoration, making it look like new. Sadly, analog gauges are rare in any new equipment these days!

·
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the compliment! Like I stated earlier, getting the gauge to function again was more like a stroke of good luck on my part. Couldn't see any adjustment screws or any way to tighten up the U shaped bracket that the needle/movement shaft fit into. I just took a stab at it and gently squeezed the bottom of the U to reduce the play where the shaft rode in the bracket. I guess similar to tightening up the nut on a spindle to take slack out of the old style front wheel bearings of your car. I looked at the workings for awhile before I decided to do what I tried. My first attempt ever at tinkering with a gauge. I doubt it's something I will ever do much more of. I can see that special tools etc. would be needed to do a really nice job. The chrome bezels on these two I tinkered on is less than perfect. Would have to replace or or re chrome them to get a like new look. They both cleaned up good enough for what I'll use them for though. And yes it's noticeable that digital instrumentation has pretty much replaced the analog. Progress??

21 - 26 of 26 Posts