Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiller stops and smokes the belt. I need a better way to tighten it up. Anyone got any ideas.
I took a international tiller mounted a engine on it, and made it fit my massey tractor. It Seems like it should work great if i get the belt tight enough. Ill get a pic in a few of my set up.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Just my thoughts, the engine pulley looks to wide for the belt. It may be bottoming out, instead of grabbing the sides of the belt. If tension doesn’t seem enough, may need to devise a tensioner that utilizes a bolt to move pulley for increased tension. Or a bolt with a T handle if you prefer to keep it toolless.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
There does not appear to be a lot of distance between the pulleys, so I believe you are limited to utilizing an elongated hole for slide adjustment.
Im assuming you weld, as I see the cub tiller hook up is welded to the drawbar.
you cold probably weld a tab on the top of the flat stock that the tensioner pulley is on, then make a tension adjustment rod that fits where you have the shim washers for the pulley.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,441 Posts
It may be an illusion, but it appears the engine pulley is not aligned with the tiller pulley. .....The engine pulley can be turned around so there is more engagement on the crankshaft and allow proper alignment.

The arm mounting the idler pulley could be "spring loaded" to keep constant tension on the belt.

·
Super Moderator
6,716 Posts
Just my thoughts. One, engine pulley needs to be changed. Belt bottoming out, as egupiment guy said. Two, spring loaded idler as Bruce said, three, in the first picture which way is the engine turning. CCW or CW. If CCW, then the idler is in the correct spot. If CW, then the idler pulley should be on the bottom of the belt. Idler pulley should be on the slack side of the belt.
Good luck getting it going. Looks like it will do a great job, when it’s fixed.

Noel

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,120 Posts
That is defenitly a 5/8" pulley on the engine and 1/2" pulley on the tiller. You can tell by how low the belt is riding in the engine pulley and how bad the belt is getting chewed up on the sides. It will constantly wear the sides of your belt out and when it gets to the cords your belt will literally unravel. It might say for 5/8" or 1/2" but that is complete BS.

The top width of a power rated 5/8 belt and 1/2 belt is canted out slightly. A 1/2" belt in a 5/8" pulley will quickly wear the top edge of the belt out and then it will either flip over or start unraveling. It's riding rite on the top edge of the belt and not the entire side of the belt like it should.

Have a look at this Gates Belt ID chart. It shows cross sections and measurements for several power rated belts.

International originally used 3/8" wide belts on there old PTO driven implements but you can use a 1/2" wide belt. The belt just rides up in the pulley a bit higher. It will eventually wear it's self in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts