Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the thrower off and put the tiller on yesterday afternoon. Gave the Granddaughter and Grandma the temp probe to check the ground temp while I finished it up. 60° from the top down to 5" or so. Warm enough for the first round or radish and lettuce. Ph tested right at 6.5 across the area so that is good. Spread a small spreader load on goat manure over the area last fall, then plowed it under. Now I need to get it disked up and then be ready for the tiller. Tried to till without disking but to uneven so don't till up even. Talking rain later this afternoon so will get one strip done this morning and seeds in the ground. Can't believe the ground this warm in the middle of March in SW Iowa.

·
Super Moderator
6,546 Posts
Might get to start tilling in a couple of weeks. But that's a big might. Frost is out in some places, and if it dries up, I might get into the gardens in two weeks time, but I would say it will still be a month yet.

Noel

·
Super Moderator
55,268 Posts
Our fruit trees have bloomed already. Hope we don't get a heavy frost or freeze. That could still happen!

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I've plowed my garden, but no planting here till mid April at least. We don't raise many cold crops, so too early for anything else. We do need to watch the sale of broccoli and cauliflower plants though, as they sometimes sell out before we know it.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tiller didn't work out quite right with the change from the 1050 to the G12 so had to make a few changes to it. Had to get a new battery for the G16 with the disk this morning. Just got the whole garden disked up good when it changed from a heavy mist to light rain. The rain will help the ground and small clods but will delay planting by several days.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Way too early for me yet. Usually have froze ground this time of year, but at the moment, it's all melted. Got froggy, drove the gt across the garden, looked solid, sank to frame. Twice, before I could get it out and it's a 4-wheel drive. Got spring fever bad, guess I will just keep hatching chicks to keep me satisfied.

·
Tractorholic
8,429 Posts
I couldn't believe how quickly the garden dried out in a weeks time , thought about plowing the garden but didn't want to jinks myself by taking the snow plows off lol I did go though the raised beds , found 5 of the 6 collard plants I was trying to grow for a fall crop didn't get big enough then to eat , made it though the winter , still only a few inches high , just next to them is my plastic covered raised bed and the only thing survived was weeds lol What kinds of early spring crops are members going ?

Reactions: propane1

·
Super Moderator
6,546 Posts
I only grow potatoes, but am going to change my row widths and weed control methods this year. Also going to use some fertilizer this year, which I have never used in the past. Also putting ebson salt in the ground, I've heard it helps the plants and may help to control some bugs.

Noel

Reactions: Alc

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Try Google Earth, White Fox. I'm about 17 miles north east of there. It's very close to the geographical center of Saskatchewan and also almost at the end of the settlement---- mostly bush from there north to the arctic circle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.