Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
4,506 Posts
Been running Linux Mint 19.3 for a couple of years now. I decide I would update to 20.1 Ulyssa. This version has support now till 2025. I have my /Home partition on a second drive so I did a complete install to freshen things up.

All when well and then we reinstalled a few programs that I use that do not come with Mint.

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
I got a notice I can upgrade to the 20.1 Ulyana. Been wonder what that would do with what I have installed already (non-Linux programs)?

Reactions: rgrinder

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm running 19.3 also. I tried to upgrade to 20.1 and couldn't get it to go, must have done something wrong. I still plan on doing it but I need to find time to figure it all out. So, I'll be lurking in the background.

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a notice I can upgrade to the 20.1 Ulyana. Been wonder what that would do with what I have installed already (non-Linux programs)?
Ulyana is version 20. 20.1 Ulyssa is the latest release. Both have LTS "Long Term Support" till 2025. Are you running those Windows programs though "Wine" or "Play on Linux"? These are still available in 20.1 and still run them.

I know you are into Cad. I use "Sketch Up" with Play On Linux. "Free Cad" is the one I use on Linux. I really like Free Cad. "SolveSpace" is another Linux Cad. I will also mention "Xtrkcad" for designing model railroad layouts because we have a guy on here that post about model railroads.

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running 19.3 also. I tried to upgrade to 20.1 and couldn't get it to go, must have done something wrong. I still plan on doing it but I need to find time to figure it all out. So, I'll be lurking in the background.
If 19.3 is working fine you can leave it. It has LTS till 2023. I do feel 20.1 is a bit faster than 19.3.

How did you try to install and what seemed to go wrong?

I did a new install with a DVD image and reinstalled the programs I use that do not come with Mint. I use Time shift for "Root" backup so if anything goes bad I can get back to 19.3 ezpeezy. My "/Home" folder is on a separate hard drive so I do not have to replace some 2 GB of documents, pictures, and music. You just have to make sure to label it as "/Home" and DO NOT check the format check box. I also use "Gsync" to back up the home folder to 2 external hard drives so I always have 2 current copies of the home folder.

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
Ulyana is version 20. 20.1 Ulyssa is the latest release. Both have LTS "Long Term Support" till 2025. Are you running those Windows programs though "Wine" or "Play on Linux"? These are still available in 20.1 and still run them.

I know you are into Cad. I use "Sketch Up" with Play On Linux. "Free Cad" is the one I use on Linux. I really like Free Cad. "SolveSpace" is another Linux Cad. I will also mention "Xtrkcad" for designing model railroad layouts because we have a guy on here that post about model railroads.
I have a challenge with both "Wine" & Play on Linux". Haven't ever got "Sketch Up" to work. May have to try again.

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kenny

Give "Free Cad" a shot think you will like it.

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
I installed it. Says no "Web Gui".

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kenny

You need to install with the "Software Manager".

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
If 19.3 is working fine you can leave it. It has LTS till 2023. I do feel 20.1 is a bit faster than 19.3.

How did you try to install and what seemed to go wrong?

My issue has to do more with time than anything else. When I'm home i spend a lot of time taking care of my handicaped wife. A year ago I had more time to do other things. It will all work out sooner or later, until then I'll keep on keepin on and lurking.

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kenny

Do you know how to add a PPA and use "apt - get" in the terminal?

Reactions: KennyP

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe that would be a way to fix it.

Try uninstall and reinstall again and see if that will fix it.

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
I had an issue with Linux 19.1 the other day, couldn't find the operating system. Got the dreaded Error 1962. Thought my hard drive had died. After a couple days working with member Ducky, I have it going again. Bought a new 2 TB hard drive and installed version 20.1. Turned out my issue was in the BIOS and I just happened to run the Bios repair tool while installing. Fixed the issue and all is well. While getting updates I saw 20.3 was available, so I clicked on that and got it installed. Finishing setting things back up including the Timeshift back up program.
I also re-installed Freecad. Now I just need to figure out how to use that.

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
Everything is going well. Just have to figure out how to get wi-fi on this machine now.

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything is going well. Just have to figure out how to get wi-fi on this machine now.
The ez way is just get a usb wifi dongle. The other is a wifi PCI card and install inside the computer if this is a desktop.
I recommend the USB wifi dongle because you can put it on an usb extension cord and place it where your best wifi reception may be from your router.
Any ? just ask

Reactions: KennyP
1 - 20 of 69 Posts