Garden Tractor Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Ok I went back a looked at previous posts to get a better picture of what you are doing. What I don't know is what router you have. My router is wireless and also has several Ethernet plugs What ever is plugged into the Ethernet or connected to the wireless that is capable of talking to each other can be networked. If the laptop running 10 is connecting to the wireless and you can plug in the Linux box it should work if they can network. I would just hard wire them together and get them networked that way then try wireless
Linux will NOT connect to the wifi the laptop is on. Even thouigh they both are on the same router. It's an AT&T U-verse router. Can't even see there is a wifi network there!
If your Linux box is connecting to the internet through your router and your windows box is connecting to the internet through the router then they are both communicating through the router just not to each other. So the first thing you need to do is get them to talk to each other. If you connect the Ethernet cable directly from one computer to the other you should be able to network the two. Once they can communicate through a hard wire they should be able to communicate through the router. If you have not established a network between the computers they can't talk.
Might want to check this out. Networking Windows & Linux — Guide to Linux for Beginners
I guess what I am trying to say is your primary problem is a network problem not a wireless problem. If you hard wire the two computers together you have eliminated the wireless. Even if the two are hardwired together the windows computer should still use the wireless internet. If you hard wire the Linux computer to the router it is no longer wireless it is wired to the router and the router is wireless to the windows computer.
I hope I am making some kind of sense.

Don

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Since they are not in the same room, hard to wire them together. Your link above is beyond what I understand haven't a clue of some of what they are trying to explain as Linux does not use Windows terminology. Have to have something that explains in both languages. I haven't a clue what Linux calls those things. That's why I can't get this figured out. Two totally different languages with no interpreter!

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
It's supposed to be cold this weekend, so maybe I can try some of this.

Reactions: secondtry

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Been looking at some of this and will have a lot of reading to do to figure out what I need to do. I know that last link is not working for me, not accepting those commands. But I got Samba installed through the Software Manager.

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
kenny
Had any luck installing those intel drivers?
I see you are just trying to share files with the other computer over the network. That can be done between wired and wireless.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Haven't tried too hard, Don. Too many things in all this I don't understand. Gonna try to read up so I know what I'm messing with. Some of this does not give very good commands for Linux and just ain't working.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Since they are not in the same room, hard to wire them together. Your link above is beyond what I understand haven't a clue of some of what they are trying to explain as Linux does not use Windows terminology. Have to have something that explains in both languages. I haven't a clue what Linux calls those things. That's why I can't get this figured out. Two totally different languages with no interpreter!
I understand the language problem. Many times I have to type things into google to get definitions and re read several times to get an undersor tanding.
I thought one was a laptop and so easy to move around.
Haven't tried too hard, Don. Too many things in all this I don't understand. Gonna try to read up so I know what I'm messing with. Some of this does not give very good commands for Linux and just ain't working.
My biggest problem with command line Linux is spelling and punctuation/symbols. I type in a command and it doesn't work. I get disgusted and start looking for other ways to do the same thing. What I should have done is go back and check the command I gave for errors. I can't tell you how many times I have typed . instead of, or mixed up/ with \ . And we don't even want to talk about ( and { . or > .
It seems to me you are in the perfict place to learn. Since you evidently just did a clean install it will at least be easy to get back to where you are if it goes south on you.
Don

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Yeah! Just need a fresh mindset and get things figured out. Nasty weather tomorrow, so I'll be wanting something to do. I can move the laptop in here for the morning. May have to get out my Win 7 laptop to look up things while I work so I don't have to keep swapping tabs. That can be a pain when doing some things. Just trying to find the same things on each computer is enough of a challenge when they are in different language. Windows is not too much of a problem, haven't done much on Linux.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yeah! Just need a fresh mindset and get things figured out. Nasty weather tomorrow, so I'll be wanting something to do. I can move the laptop in here for the morning. May have to get out my Win 7 laptop to look up things while I work so I don't have to keep swapping tabs. That can be a pain when doing some things. Just trying to find the same things on each computer is enough of a challenge when they are in different language. Windows is not too much of a problem, haven't done much on Linux.
Good luck with that. Nother problem I have inside in the warm on a nasty day is keeping enough interest to maintain consciousness.
Don

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Kenny I put this together for you.
Hope it is some help.

Attachments

• Love

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Kenny I just had another thought. Do you still use dropbox? You could use dropbox installed on both computers to share file too.

• Love

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Thanks Ducky! Yeah I have dropbox, but have too much saved there to share, mainly large files that I cannot upload/e-mail.

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
@ducky
Got started on your option this morning. Things were going fine until I got to this point:
[email protected]:~$ mkdir ~/Desktop/Windows-Share
[email protected]:~$ sudo mount.cifs //WindowsPC/Share/home/Everyone/Desktop/Windows-Share/ -o user=Everyone

Usage: mount.cifs <remotetarget> <dir> -o <options>

Mount the remote target, specified as a UNC name, to a local directory.

Options:
user=<arg>
pass=<arg>
dom=<arg>

Less commonly used options:
credentials=<filename>,guest,perm,noperm,setuids,nosetuids,rw,ro,
sep=<char>,iocharset=<codepage>,suid,nosuid,exec,noexec,serverino,
noserverino,mapchars,nomapchars,nolock,servernetbiosname=<SRV_RFC1001NAME>
cache=<strict|none|loose>,nounix,cifsacl,sec=<authentication mechanism>,
sign,seal,fsc,snapshot=<token|time>,nosharesock,persistenthandles,
resilienthandles,rdma,vers=<smb_dialect>,cruid

Options not needed for servers supporting CIFS Unix extensions
(e.g. unneeded for mounts to most Samba versions):
uid=<uid>,gid=<gid>,dir_mode=<mode>,file_mode=<mode>,sfu,
mfsymlinks,idsfromsid

Rarely used options:
port=<tcpport>,rsize=<size>,wsize=<size>,unc=<unc_name>,ip=<ip_address>,
dev,nodev,nouser_xattr,netbiosname=<OUR_RFC1001NAME>,hard,soft,intr,
nointr,ignorecase,noposixpaths,noacl,prefixpath=<path>,nobrl,
echo_interval=<seconds>,actimeo=<seconds>,max_credits=<credits>,
bsize=<size>

Options are described in more detail in the manual page
man 8 mount.cifs

To display the version number of the mount helper:
mount.cifs -V
[email protected]:~$ [sudo] password for Everyone:
[sudo]: command not found
[email protected]:~$ [sudo] password for Everyone
[sudo]: command not found
[email protected]:~$ password for Everyone

Command 'password' not found, did you mean:

command 'assword' from deb assword (0.12.2-1)

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

[email protected]:~$ sudo password for Everyone
sudo: password: command not found
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get samba
E: Invalid operation samba
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
samba is already the newest version (2:4.13.14+dfsg-0ubuntu0.20.04.4).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
[email protected]:~$ smbpasswd -a Everyone
When run by root:
smbpasswd [options] [username]
otherwise:
smbpasswd [options]

options:
-L local mode (must be first option)
-h print this usage message
-s use stdin for password prompt
-c smb.conf file Use the given path to the smb.conf file
-D LEVEL debug level
-r MACHINE remote machine
-U USER remote username (e.g. SAM/user)
extra options when run by root or in local mode:
-a add user
-d disable user
-e enable user
-i interdomain trust account
-m machine trust account
-n set no password
-W use stdin ldap admin password
-w PASSWORD ldap admin password
-x delete user
-R ORDER name resolve order
[email protected]:~$ sudo smbpasswd -a Everyone
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to add entry for user Everyone.
[email protected]:~$ sudo smbpasswd -a Everyone
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to add entry for user Everyone.
[email protected]:~$

At a loss of what to do now.

·
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
@ducky
Got started on your option this morning. Things were going fine until I got to this point:
[email protected]:~$ mkdir ~/Desktop/Windows-Share
[email protected]:~$ sudo mount.cifs //WindowsPC/Share/home/Everyone/Desktop/Windows-Share/ -o user=Everyone

"Everyone"
should be your windows username.
  • -o user=geek: This is the Windows username that we are using to access the shared folder.
"geek" should be where your windows user name should be.
Not sure how you got "Everyone".
Is that your user name on your windows computer?

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Basically all I need to do on this is get samba configured correctly on Linux.

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
That is the name I used there, didn't like geek. I can change if needed.

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
On windows 10 it's Desktop-LGG8CML\user.

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
What name should I use instead of geek? Windows or Linux username?

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Forget it! I should have the USB wi-fi tomorrow. Maybe I can get that to work. If not, I give up!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts