Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know if this is a specific Bolens question or more of a general question. Bolens 1050 is the subject matter. A couple years ago I had a flat front tire in the middle of winter. I removed the front wheel and put the tire back on as best I could. So far it still holds air.

When I put it back on, it would appear I put it on backwards. The valve stem is sticking out. The other 3 tires have the valve stem on the inside.

Does this make a difference? I can't imagine it's a huge ordeal, but just curious how the rest of you guys run yours. Is there a benefit to one or the other?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Tinker Master
7,807 Posts
Some are innies, others are outties. I prefer the outies for ease of airing. But if running weights I think you need innies. Other than that I don't think it matters.
I agree!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Depends on the rim offset, most rears are on the inside. I just sold a Jacobson that someone decided the valve stems needed to be out, the tires wore into the seat pan and got ruined!!! If they are on backwards or it mattered you would know.
Pete

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
The default location for industrial applications, is the the valve stem goes to the inside of the machine.
The thinking being that the likelihood of a rock or log hitting the valve stem and giving an instint flat is lower that way.
However, the hole in the rim is pre-drilled. And sometimes you want to set your track to a certain width.
So, with directional tread, your valve stems are sticking out. Doesn't really matter unless you've got long valve stems!
Most, but not all, wheel weights have clearance for the valve stem.

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
If you are worried about something taking out the valve stem, do what they do with skidsteer wheels. Weld on a short steel tube around the valve stem. Just make sure it has enough diameter to allow the air chuck to access the valve stem.

Reactions: oldedeeres

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wheel weights appear to have a slot in them to clear the valve stem. That was part of my question that I forgot to mention. Why put a slot in the wheel weights, when the valve stems are to the inside. Just made me wonder if the previous owner did it, or if it came from the factory like this.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I much prefer the valve stems to the outside. Seems every time I park the STX38 the valve stem is awkwardly positioned and I have to start it up and roll that little bit forward or back to get it where I can add air. On the other hand, if it doesn't need air the stem is right at the top, laughing at me. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts