Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I made a purchase today and will pick the goodies up later this weekend, and YES, I have pictures.
It is a 1974 D-200 (Kohler engine) with a FEL, a push blade that fits on the FEL, a 3 pt grader blade, a tiller, and a 60" rear mower. Oh, there is also a little sun canopy for the FEL. The tractor and the FEL need a little work, but that will keep me occupied this winter. My wife actually said we, yes WE should do a complete dissasembly, repair what-ever, have it (professionally) painted and re-assemble.

What do you think all of this is worth?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Man that will be nice when you get finished with it! What a nice package of attachments! It's hand operated hydro, correct? That's the only hard thing with operating a FEL is when it's hand hydro. Or do these have a foot pedal also? No matter, still a killer outfit!
As to worth...need more details. Are deck spindles free, tiller gearbox operational, cylinder shafts in good shape, and does she run? Lots of variables.
In non running shape (engine free), but other things ok, I'd say an easy $1500, maybe 2 grand. Some may say I'm high, some low, but a package like this is very rare to find in one place.

·
Live long and prosper
6,794 Posts
Congratulations. That is a very nice package. I like that your wife wants it all restored too. That will be nice when everything looks new. If it were listed on Craigslist around me, I would estimate asking would be close to three thousand if it runs. I think it would bring less. I hope you got a good deal.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You fell into the treasure chest there. What a pile of goodies and a wife who likes it too. Good for you.
Does it run or did I miss that?
It runs, and I DROVE IT!
It will need some work, but like I said....that is expected of a piece of equipment that is 38 years old.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wow, you hit the mother load!! Very Nice, and I've seen what D's go for on ebay, and with all those attachments I'd say 2 grand easy. Some guys have all the fun!
My favorite Horse is the C-160, but there is no arguing which Horse is the Baddest, and you own it!

Matt

·
Super Moderator
55,270 Posts
Nice score on all that! You have a good batch of implements to do about anything you want. Have a blast with it!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Congrats on the tractor! Getting all those attachments is a huge bonus and makes the tractor much more useful and valuable to you as a worker. It would cost well into 5 figures to replace that setup with something new. Sounds like you have a project that you and your wife can do together which is priceless in itself!

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
That's a great catch! I wouldn't mind owning one of those myself! As to the "worth"... Wheel Horse D-200 with Kohler engine that runs...$650, Original Wheel Horse FEL...$300, 60" 3PH rear mower...$250, Original Wheel Horse tiller...$150, Push blade for FEL...$100, Professional paint job...$700. A wife that says "yes" to all of that...Priceless!!

·
Tractorholic
1,711 Posts
Thats a great score! You have three of the hardest to find attachments, FEL, tiller and finish mower. I will not guess as to value, you paid what you paid and you are happy.

Some things about the D's. Sloppy steering and hydro problems are the two most major problems found. The hydro problem might not show up until you get to using it and the oil gets hot. There are a few of us working on a way to rebuild the hydros. Steering slop is an easy fix, its a ross steering box.

The one true weakness of the early D's is the rearend. When thye first came out WH used 5/16 grade 8 bolts in the differential. They were not up to the stress. Usually one of the heads will break off and wedge itself between the bull gear and the case. The case will usually loose and crack. Since you are planning on a complete tear down, I would make the rearend my first priority. Open it up and see if you have the 5/16th bolts or the 3/8. If the 3/8, just order some grade 9 bolts from macmaster carr. If you have the 5/16, then you will have to get new bull gear and diff side plates. Those have been showing up on ebay quite a bit but it may take some time to get them. thats why I encourage you tohit the rearend first. It sucks when you are ready to go back together but the last part you need to replace hasnt shown up on ebay yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.