Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ended up with some different tools under the tree. Among them where some ratchet wrenches, an OA heating tip, flywheel puller, digital milti-meter, and two wire brushes.

A0DCFFE7-FBE2-40CD-922E-2DD49B47BA9C-114

I have been using a very old torque wrench, and nobody else thinks it is at all accurate. So, neighbor Dave was nice enough to get me a newer style.

8EACE891-BA8E-4B56-B3B0-90FF09B03133-114

I hope everybody else is enjoying their day, Merry Christmas!

·
Super Moderator
54,614 Posts
Nice addition on the tools, Ryan! Those should be very useful.

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
I always like getting tools. You never have enough of them. I have a pair of channel locks my BIL (at the time) gave to me back in the early 80's or late 70's and when I use them I think of him.

·
Super Moderator
54,614 Posts
Ryan, Looks like Santa was very good to you. :thumbs:

FYI, Make sure you store your new torque wrench with the handle backed off so the spring doesn't stay under tension when not in use.
Very good info there, Brian!

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Ryan, Looks like Santa was very good to you. :thumbs:

FYI, Make sure you store your new torque wrench with the handle backed off so the spring doesn't stay under tension when not in use.
That is a very good point Brian. They taught us that in the Navy, in fact during inspections we would get dinged if we didn't store it that way. I guess I have been doing it for so long that it is just second nature to me.

·
Tractorholic
1,726 Posts
tools are great to get anytime

I got a new Craftsman 19pc Universal Max Axess Socket and Ratchet Set, 3/8" Drive

and for my pickup a Load Handler - Pickup Truck Unloader -LH3000

been looking at the load handler for a while

sure will make unloading the pickup faster

·
Cub Cadet Collector
1,457 Posts
I got a spark tester,some really nice air hose(The stuff that springs back into a coil after your done with it. Especially built for lazy people like me) and a respirator so I can do painting indoors without running out every minute gasping for a breath of fresh air.LOL.

Attachments

·
Patina Farmer / Rust Collector
1,472 Posts
I have been using a very old torque wrench, and nobody else thinks it is at all accurate. So, neighbor Dave was nice enough to get me a newer style.
Hey Ryan, now you can compare the two wrenches and see how accurate or inaccurate the old one is.

Good advice. :thumbs: And another thing don't drop it! Lesson learned the hard way. Costs almost as much as a new one, to have one calibrated. :wallbanging:

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
Ryan, those are great tools. I must say one thing about torque wrenches. The ratcheting ones can be dangerous. Most pull upward of torque wrenches, but I push down to torque (both methods work fine). The caution is that the cheaper brand torque wrenches will fail in the ratchet part, whether it be it skips, or breaks, it will do it right as you come up on your torque value. And I don't care whether you push down or pull up, it will catch you off guard and you can easily get hurt if it fails. If you are pushing down it can drop you on the ground; if pulling up, you could go backward. Either way you could get hurt, and I rather go down than fly backwards. Better yet, I am going to buy a quality brand of torque wrench to replace the one that just about dropped me this weekend while mounting the snow tires on my truck at 150 ft-lbs or torque.. ended up finishing the job with Dad's torque wrench. Anyway, words of caution. And I learned something too, back off the spring, did now know that before.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips! I will store it with the spring tension off. Also, how do you calibrate them? Would that be the little knob on the bottom? I hope not...

Casey, I know exactly what you mean; I have had that happen to me with ratchets when I did not have the switch all the way locked in position.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
...some really nice air hose(The stuff that springs back into a coil after your done with it. Especially built for lazy people like me)
Those hoses are nice, Just keep a good grip, I damaged a paint gun once by stretching the hose out and letting the gun slip from my fingers. It was about 3 inches of the floor, so no damage from that, but it hit the drill press stand at what seemed like 20 mph. Big dent in the can and it tweaked where the air attaches. Just FYI.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a spark tester,some really nice air hose(The stuff that springs back into a coil after your done with it. Especially built for lazy people like me) and a respirator so I can do painting indoors without running out every minute gasping for a breath of fresh air.LOL.
Those are good hoses! I have one on my little electric compressor, I only use it to air up tires though. One tip, if are using a cutting torch, make sure that the slag is not falling onto the hose! Like I said, I only use mine to air up tires, so I use it anyway. :D

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I will store it with the spring tension off. Also, how do you calibrate them? Would that be the little knob on the bottom? I hope not...

Casey, I know exactly what you mean; I have had that happen to me with ratchets when I did not have the switch all the way locked in position.
Ryan, what can happen is the handle can screw apart. If you get all the parts back in the right order you can calibrate it by using a square socket that fits the drives of the torque wrenches to have them back to back. The forces between then will always be the same no matter how hard you pull them. So if they are both the same they will both it the same torque settings at the same time (or close enough). Run them through a few different torque values and see how they size up. If they are good you'll know. If not you need more help or to pull the one in question back apart and try again. Hopefully you will not need to do that. But if you do you will know how. The key is one of the two torque wrenches MUST be know to be CORRECT already.

·
Cub Cadet Collector
1,457 Posts
Those hoses are nice, Just keep a good grip, I damaged a paint gun once by stretching the hose out and letting the gun slip from my fingers. It was about 3 inches of the floor, so no damage from that, but it hit the drill press stand at what seemed like 20 mph. Big dent in the can and it tweaked where the air attaches. Just FYI.
Thanks for that advice. I will keep that in mind.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ryan, what can happen is the handle can screw apart. If you get all the parts back in the right order you can calibrate it by using a square socket that fits the drives of the torque wrenches to have them back to back. The forces between then will always be the same no matter how hard you pull them. So if they are both the same they will both it the same torque settings at the same time (or close enough). Run them through a few different torque values and see how they size up. If they are good you'll know. If not you need more help or to pull the one in question back apart and try again. Hopefully you will not need to do that. But if you do you will know how. The key is one of the two torque wrenches MUST be know to be CORRECT already.
Thanks for the little how-to! But, I was more asking what the knob on the bottom is for. The knob I am taking about petrudes through the lock-nut. It also has a hole through it with a little chain on it. (in my picture you can sorta see the chain) The reason I ask, is because I was trying to figure out what it was and I kept turning it. Not sure if that was a good idea.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Thanks for the little how-to! But, I was more asking what the knob on the bottom is for. The knob I am taking about petrudes through the lock-nut. It also has a hole through it with a little chain on it. (in my picture you can sorta see the chain) The reason I ask, is because I was trying to figure out what it was and I kept turning it. Not sure if that was a good idea.
That's the locking nut. Loosen, make adjustments, tighten.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts