Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
I'm looking at a Toro GMT 200. It comes with the 48" deck and nothing else. The 20 hp Kohler engine is seized. I'm trying to figure out the history from the current owner. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about these tractors. I found some information on TractorData. Anything you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Toro gmt 200.jpg Toro GMT 2002 2.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: JDJake and Merle013

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
I found the operation manual and parts catalog on the Toro site. They say is has a Sundstrand U transmission with Dana rear axle. I wasn't expecting it to have a Dana axle

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently they were originally called the Hesston Frontrunner. Still looking

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
672 Posts

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Garry!

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the things I need to figure out is how the deck is driven. I'd like to put a 60" deck on it in the future. You could have ordered it with a 60" deck but this one only has the 48". I also found out from the owner that the engine is seized but not because of lack of oil but from sitting for so long. I might get lucky by spraying PB blaster into the combustion chamber to help free it up. If the hour meter is working it only has 600 hrs on it currently. Super low for something this old.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,236 Posts
Ordinary Rubbing Alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) is a good penetrant. .....It's cheap and effective.

Remove the spark plugs and start pouring. ....It will help with frozen rings, and if the valves are open, it will also get to the valve guides.

Let it sit for a day before trying to turn the crankshaft. Reinstalling the sparkplugs will help slow evaporation.

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bruce!

That sounds like the acetone and ATF trick minus the ATF.

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I leave tomorrow morning to go pick this Toro up. Should take me about 5hr round trip. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you have to pay for it? I have a Hesston Frontrunner, and a GMT 200. I would like to sell the Toro GMT 200 with 48" deck and 48" pusher blade. Runs good and complete. Needs new tires.

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did end up buying the GMT local to me but am interested in getting another with implements. Interesting machine. I have posted images so you can all enjoy the foolishness of buying the only unit nearby :)

Clearly plenty of rewiring to do and completely unknown hours given the hour meter was removed years ago.

At the moment not running but will tackle that in the next few days.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,015 Posts
Bet a Kohler Magnum would fit in there if need be!

·
Mark J.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice looking Hesston! I'm wondering about the front bracket. Do you know what they used it for? Front plow? It's amazing how much your Hesston looks like my GMT 200. Toro didn't change them much when they bought Hesston.

Reactions: KennyP
1 - 20 of 31 Posts