Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting the grass, all was well then I loose power and she dies. After a couple of cranks it was evident what had happened.

So do I do a full rebuild or just replace the head and continue on. It runs strong, no smoke. It does push some oil out the rear cover gasket.

Attachments

·
Old Iron Junky
1,359 Posts
Thats no good! If it was mine I'd put a different head on and go. Unless you see something else wrong when you tear it apart.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I hate to be ignorant, but what engine is that? Wisconsin?

Ben W.

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had some time so I pulled it apart. There are a couple of items on the head and gasket that I would like to get your opinion on.

The gasket shows signs of maybe a leak.

On the head near the plug hole there is a shiny area. I did not rub or clean anything before the pics.

Do either of those give you concern?

Why would the head crack? Is the idea of running lean possible?

The cylinder does show some grooves but I barely feel them when rubbing across the grove.

Attachments

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,753 Posts
It may have been Warped from getting to hot and some one re-torqued the head in an attempt to get the head gasket to seal?If it was warped and got brittle it would crack very easily.

Running lean,improperly set points,mouse hotel in the blower housing,worn cam lobe and blown head gasket will all cause an engine to overheat.I'm sure there are many more things that could make them run super hot.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,399 Posts
Someone also may have washed it off with cold water while the head was hot. That'll crack one too. Hard to tell by the pic about the shiny area. Is that another crack next to that one shiny spot?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It looks like 020 stamped on the piston in one of the pictures. I would guess that it has been rebuilt once already with a 20 thousands overbore.

I'm not an expert but I'd check the bore for out of round and put a feeler gauge next to the piston and cylinder wall to see what the wear is. You should be able to find the allowable clearance in a rebuild manual.

Also I'd lay a straight edge on the top of the block to see if it is level.. More than likely if it was mine I'd find a good head and a new gasket and put it back together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts