Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
tinkerer
2,417 Posts
The Buckley show is over and I took the rest of my tractors down to my sons place in southern Indiana.

I got back from that trip yesterday evening and I started on loading the garage stuff on the trailer today.

To make sure that everything will fit, I drew a scale diagram of the trailer and made up pieces of cardboard that are to scale for the amount of space each item takes.

Then I moved these around on the diagram until they all fit.

This also let me make sure that the heaviest things are back over the trailer axles.

There are three items that won't fit on the trailer .. the torch, hydraulic press and lift cart.

I may be able to set them on top of something else once the trailer is loaded.

If not, I'll just put them in the back of the truck.

trailerloading_zps1a073550.jpg

Here is the first item loaded.

DCP_0001_zps162d8a47.jpg

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
That goes a few steps further than I normally go. But it looks good! Good luck with the load!

Reactions: jdcrawler

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
The Buckley show is over and I took the rest of my tractors down to my sons place in southern Indiana.

I got back from that trip yesterday evening and I started on loading the garage stuff on the trailer today.

To make sure that everything will fit, I drew a scale diagram of the trailer and made up pieces of cardboard that are to scale for the amount of space each item takes.

Then I moved these around on the diagram until they all fit.

This also let me make sure that the heaviest things are back over the trailer axles.

There are three items that won't fit on the trailer .. the torch, hydraulic press and lift cart.

I may be able to set them on top of something else once the trailer is loaded.

If not, I'll just put them in the back of the truck.

trailerloading_zps1a073550.jpg

Here is the first item loaded.

DCP_0001_zps162d8a47.jpg
You dont know how great it makes me feel to see someone that cares enough to plan something like this, rather than throw everything on top of each other like many do. THANKS

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
My wife is an absolute genius at packing stuff. She does it all in her head though.

She just looks at everything that she wants to pack, and then starts in. This goes here, that goes there, etc.

I swear, she can pack 10 cu ft of stuff into a 5 cu ft space.

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
Ray I hope it all fits and you have another safe trip.

Feel free to stop by. :D

Reactions: jdcrawler

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I built 2 small waste water treatment plants and a remodeled a 4 bay garage for 5 fire trucks using the same method.

I did use different colored construction paper for each item. I do better in color!

·
tinkerer
2,417 Posts
Made some progress on loading the trailer today.

The white cabinet is actually used for storing the hydraulic valves and small cylinders.

The hydraulic stuff is too heavy for loading that far forward on the trailer so I filled the cabinet with lighter stuff.

431_zpsc8d8df2d.jpg

Once the steel rack and the cabinet were pretty well filled up, I continued loading some more stuff.

432_zps7c53b197.jpg

433_zpsc5fd081b.jpg

Even though I made up a loading diagram for placing everything, that doesn't guarantee that it is going to work out right once everything is loaded.

That big toolbox is very heavy and with it loaded I realized that it is going to be too far forward so I need to move it back some so the weight is more over the trailer wheels.

I took another look at the diagram and decided to put the paint cabinet in front of the toolbox instead of behind it.

This will move the toolbox back about 3-1/2 feet and put it directly over the front trailer axle.

I had to re-arrange the two benches with the blue strip and put them in-line instead of crosswise on the trailer and everything will fit again.

trailerloading-2_zps1c26627d.jpg

This trailer load is going to have to set outside at my sons place until we get a place of our own.

So once it is loaded, I'll build a wood frame around it and cover it with plastic tarp that will be fastened on with firring strips screwed to the wood frame.

The top of the wood frame will be covered in 1/4 inch OSB so that when the plastic builds condensation on the inside, it doesn't drip down on the tools.

·
wabbit wangler
9,061 Posts
After several years of loading UPS trailers I can pretty much do all that in my head. I was called by my mom several years back because a gal I knew in high school and her husband were in my area and moving back to TN. They couldn't get everything on the U haul. I went over an looked at it for about 10 minutes then we unloaded every thing and put it back on and had1 foot of room left over.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Way to load Ray. I hope you don't plan to have all those hand tools on the work bench for the long drive.
After the trailer is loaded, just get some stretch wrap and wrap the entire trailer & contents....Everything will be in the right place when you get to Indiana.

·
tinkerer
2,417 Posts
It's times like this that I'm glad that I built the forklift.

I've loaded up the welding bench and I need to set the belt sander bench on top of it.

434_zpsa54c015c.jpg

435_zps6716ea35.jpg

The belt sander bench sets down so the legs hang over the welding bench.

436_zpsd6c9b859.jpg

437_zpscf4b3088.jpg

This leaves just enough room for the lathe to set in front of it.

438_zps6486e7e8.jpg

It has been raining off and on the last couple of days so I have a tarp over the front part of the trailer.

If it starts to rain or if I'm done for the day, I just back the trailer into the carport and don't have to fuss with trying to keep covering and un-covering the back of the trailer where I'm working.

439_zps44fe91e9.jpg

Reactions: twostep and KennyP
1 - 20 of 25 Posts