Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of transaxle (make and model) is on an MF 85? I just got one that the transaxle is frozen and I want to start searching before I pick it up. Thanks, Tom

·
4,482 Posts
I have 2 85s without Transaxle.
The only 55 series I do not have.
I have an axle from a simplicity that appears to bolt in.
I have not had any time to look into this to determine what is right. Let me know what you find.

·
Masseyholic
157 Posts
It should be an aluminum vertical shaft 5 speed peerless. i can get you the exact model tommaro. from what research I'v done, most 70's and 80's box store lawn tractors run a similar transaxle. for example i think a murray 12/38 transaxle should fit with some shifter and brake mods and you would have to shorten the axle shafts to put the 3 bolt hubs on. I'm not sure how hard it would be to find the exact peerless tranaxle. Hope this helps and good luck! :thumbs:

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I don't think one would want the exact trans, as they gave a lot of trouble. Shortly after I got the MF85 I used to have, one of the axles fell out! I put a hydro rear under mine.

·
Masseyholic
157 Posts
Ya it seems like all those little aluminum transaxles have that problem, i don't mind the 85's being they have the 3 lug wheels but it seems like all the other compaies used the slide on type and the wheels always get stuck on the axle and about %50 of the time trying to get them of you rip the whole axle out, and it's not a fun job to fix that either!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts