Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bolen's 1220 which I bought 20 years ago as a used tractor. The transaxle which has the high and low range in it is completely worn out and needs replacing. I have another tube frame unit that I acquired some time ago, which is in much better shape and has the high and low range. Everything I can look at and measure from the outside looks the same. Question One: Were all of those units in the tube frames the same? Question Two: How do you get the units off of their frames to make the change? I took the clamps off of the good one and hung it from my chain hoist from the front axle. It did not fall out. I tapped on it gently with a hammer, still no movement. Is there something else I to take off? Thank you.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,005 Posts
Welcome to the forum

This is the link to the Bolens 1220 parts list. The Transaxle assembly part # for it was 1716736 - you will have to check the model of the other tube frame that you have (since you don't mention it) parts list to verify that it is the identical part number but for the most part the 6 speed tube frame transaxle will usually interchange as far as I know - I am familiar with the 1050 and 1053 models mainly.

https://www.gardentractortalk.com/d...7df80ed590a1c6122c-bolens-1220-parts-list.pdf

This link should get you to a document that you can download to see how I removed the transmission from my 1050 - Tubeframe Cluster Gear removal & Installation
Sometimes the frame tubes will bind up against the transmission mounting points so you may have to make a spreader out of a piece of pipe and a couple of bolts as shown in the document. It is usually best to support the frame tubes ahead of the transmission with a couple of axle stands or a jack. If you leave the rear wheels on you can usually just walk the transmission backwards to the rear and out of the frame tubes after the 4 clamps are removed. Hope this helps.

·
1,261 Posts
I would concur with 29 Chev that the 6 speed ( high/low ) trans axles should interchange. No offense intended please, but I wouldn't hang the tractor from a hoist and try to get the transaxle to drop out. Unless possibly it has a soft landing? On a hard surface, not so much. Again, no offense intended! I'd be afraid of breaking something myself. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I swapped transmissions a couple years ago from 3 to 6 speed, I found it useful to loosen the bolts securing the tubes to the angle center support (and of course the deck pan) all the way to the front bolster. This way they could be easily spread without being bent. A few taps with a mallet on a block of wood persuaded the transmission to start its roll back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts