Dave in NY· New Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to get going on this deck shell for a while now. Last week I took it to a fellow I know that has a small abrasive blast business going. He blew it off for me and its plenty clean enough for me to start working on it. I knew that there would be some repair work needed as I could see some pinholes and a couple of obvious larger holes. No surprise there considering its age. A few days ago, I went in search of a source for patch metal. I plucked this Cub hood off a scrap pile destined for a one-way ride to the junk yard. My sincere apologies to the Cub Cadet fans!! At least I will be repurposing parts of it back to another tractor type project. The first piece I sliced out I goofed and had it just a smidge too small. I was plenty generous on the second piece. A bit of hammering and heating and I have a rough draft of the patch. I plan on making the patch piece fit the hole I cut in the deck. There will be lots of trimming. bending and fitting to do before I start any welding. I believe this project might take me a while as I don't want to warp the deck out of shape by welding too much in one spot. There will lots of cool off time between short beads of weld. It will be time consuming no doubt.