Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ..I replaced all the oil seals on my G10 back in April and now the left side axle seal is leaking again. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening so soon after new replacement? Just started leaking recently.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Not sure what the insides look like on those rear axles but if the bearings are worn it can cause the seals to leak. Likewise if there is a lot of axle end play for some reason.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Be very careful not to damage the seal lips on the shaft threads. I usually don't have the right diameter seal installer, so I use a rolled up piece of thin (.002" or .oo3") shim stock. Roll the shim stock on itself to make a cylinder. Make sure there are no exposed sharp edges on the shim stock edges. Insert the rolled up shim stock into the seal, then carefully allow the shim stock to expand inside the seal until it fits over the threaded portion of the shaft. Slide the shim stock with seal until the seal itself can be slide onto the smooth diameter of the shaft where the seal normally rides. The seal should not leak because of installation problems.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,768 Posts
If the seal was not seated completely it could be sitting in there slightly crooked.That will wear a seal out really quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts