Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the size or PN of the universal joint for the deck driveshaft? I checked the manual but it doesn't mention it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
PTO Drive Shaft U-Joint Precision 338, NEAPCO# 1-0170, TRW# 20017, SPICER# 5-170x, ALLOY# 1070, AEC 570, NAPA PUJ338, ROCKFORD K170 Retainer clips are on the inside of the yoke. Tap out with a hammer and rod. Press in cups with a vice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks VTX! I did try the Napa UJ338, but it appears to be too wide. I don't see the PUJ338 that you listed, maybe the PUJ's are a little narrower, but no longer available?

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can you bring the shaft to Napa? They may be able to find it. My last u-joint was from Napa.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think you can get more squish on the right side cup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
No loose needle or more squish. I'm pretty certain that I bent the yoke somehow while pressing the joint in. When I went to take this one out, it wouldn't fit, but did fit going in. I used my press to bend the yoke ends back apart to 1.5" which is what the joint is spec'd to. They were about 1/16" too tight before. Unfortunately I marred the inside of the joint a bit so I'm waiting for new parts to retry.

The Napa UJ338 are SKF made in China for $18, and I found Moog 338 on amazon for about $11 a piece so I'll try those next.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Any update for us?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You’ve probable finished this odious task but lots of folks would like to know what you finally did.

I got Moog 338 for my hydro drive shaft and they fit exactly like yours - too wide. Everybody seems to think a BFH is the answer but the Moogs are plain and simple too wide. Lay them alongside the originals and see what I’m talking about. I did get them to work but that’s a tale on another tractor website.

ron

·
Registered
35 Posts
You’ve probable finished this odious task but lots of folks would like to know what you finally did.

I got Moog 338 for my hydro drive shaft and they fit exactly like yours - too wide. Everybody seems to think a BFH is the answer but the Moogs are plain and simple too wide. Lay them alongside the originals and see what I’m talking about. I did get them to work but that’s a tale on another tractor website.

ron
I’ll add more - I finally realized the BFH is necessary to restore proper width to the yoke - I was really hesitant. But, the Moog 338 was still too wide to work, even when using thinner hardware store C-clips. Then a gent (Lane) on the My Tractor Forum (MTD 990 -New Moog too long...) found an All Balls u-joint kit #19-1005 that looked like it matched the original better than the others. I ordered one, measured it, and was initially disappointed because it appeared very close to the Moog 338. But the groove spacing width and location were just different enough that it worked where the Moog did not. So I ordered a second one for the other end. The All Balls 19-1005 is for a Polaris product. It does cost $23+ but this should be a one time cost if you use the zerk it comes with. As much trouble as it is to get at these joints I consider it money well spent. YMMV

ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts