Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is home but very, very, weak. She is a large women, and has almost no control over her legs. I have made changes to the bed so I can move her back and forth, but its about all I can do to move her. She needs almost constant care. I have the home health nurse coming, but I don't know she will get here.

I'm returning to work next week, but I don't know how the wife will be by then.

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
Glad she is home, Pat! I hope she continues to improve!

Reactions: Arti

·
Tractorholic
8,385 Posts
I'm sure she's glad to be home , hope she recovers quickly , thanks for the update

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I'm glad to hear she's home. I'm sure she will do much better in her own environment. We'll be praying for you as you care for her.

Ben W.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
There are small hoists called Hoyas that can help you to move her safely. See if you can rent one. You have to be careful to protect your back. Beds are at a terrible height for lifting. Thats why so many Nurses end up with back trouble. My wife is an RN and wrecked her back 34 years ago. Please be careful and I hope your wife's recovery is fast. Good Luck, Rick

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
I am sure she wants to be home, and that is where I'd want her to be too, but speak candidly about her spending a little time in transitional care until she gets some strength built up.

You feel like you can't do much to help her now, you will be no help to her if you pull something of wrench your whatever.

Or if you get a lift, rent a good one. Do some research and then choose. Some of the cheap ones, the wheels will unlock, the straps are awkward, lift is almost top heavy. (I'm no expert, but my wife used to help a home bound lady, and the stuff she rented seemed like seconds... She actually was hurt a few times by faulty stuff)

However it works, I am overjoyed she is on the mend.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have a Hoyer lift, but the problem is getting the sling under her. I'm looking renting a hospital bed. I'm going to check again today, and see what I can find.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Ditto on being careful of yourself. Ask the home health people for care tips, they may be able to help with hoists and other items. I know someone made my mother a handle for the bed. It was secured by being attached to a board or peice of plywood that slid between the mattress and box spring.

Reactions: oldedeeres

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hadn't thought about that, but I think I just found one.

Reactions: boyscout862

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Thanks for the update. Hopefully being home will help lift her spirits a bit. You both are in my thoughts still.

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Thanks for the update. Alan has some good advice. My MIL is a pretty big woman and she has been using a hospital bed for year but just replaced it with craftmatic bed. I hope she continues to recover and her strength returns soon.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got back from buying a hospital bed. I just have to set it up now.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No we have one of those really tall mattresses, I had it sitting on the floor so it would tall enough, but the hoyer lift wouldn't slid underneath, so I removed the foundation and used blocks and plywood to hold it up.

Reactions: MH81
1 - 20 of 25 Posts