Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got everything back together tonight and decided to drive it for the first time. it started right up but the front belt wants to slip when I put the Vari Speed in gear. It takes fine rubber off the belt. It is hard to see what is happening but it looks like the center pulley is not moving letting the rear belt move. I know it is free because I just had it apart the other day. Could it be all the paint on the pulleys making it slip? It will move the tractor but not very fast and it makes a lot of belt slipping noise when it does. Any idea what to look for?

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
The front belt needs to be a good one, if it's too narrow it runs on the bottom of the belt instead of the sides. This happens on the crank pulley and you can see it touch the bottom of the grove if it's too narrow.
The rear belt doesn't matter so much as there is a lot of adjustment in the rear sheaths to make up for a worn rear belt.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both belts are brand new Massey Belts. I checked all the adjustments for the rear pulley and they are right.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
The center sheath in the middle of the double pulley moves back and forth freely?

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it does but the pulleys have paint on them, I wonder if they could be sticking to the belt.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
2 questions, is the idler tensioning the rear belt well?

When you're in position 1, where are the belts? The one for the rear should be out and the one from the motor should be in, but not touching the bottom.

I would clean the paint off, that can affect belts and may cause sticking as it embeds in the belt.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
DanP said:
Yes it does but the pulleys have paint on them, I wonder if they could be sticking to the belt.
Ya you might be right there, I think the pulleys work best when there bare metal.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that is just back words from what you said. I would have to go out and look. I will and get back to you shortly.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear one is in and the front one is out. The rear tentioner is adjusted to about 1/4 below the top of the frame. It is not the belt that is slipping though it is the front belt that is slipping.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not very low maybe 3/16 of an inch or so. It is within the specs of the manual because I checked all that when I put it together. My mistake, I checked it after I put it together and then read the manual.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
DanP said:
Not very low maybe 3/16 of an inch or so. It is within the specs of the manual because I checked all that when I put it together. My mistake, I checked it after I put it together and then read the manual.
New belts going to be wide and sit high up in the pulley.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is what I am thinking. Now I have to take that side panel off again. I am trying not to scratch this all up but taking it apart it is hard not to do that. It will be a tomorrow project, I am not going back out there again, it is 14 degrees outside.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
DanP said:
That is what I am thinking. Now I have to take that side panel off again. I am trying not to scratch this all up but taking it apart it is hard not to do that. It will be a tomorrow project, I am not going back out there again, it is 14 degrees outside.
I don't blame you, 17 here. Too cold tonight. Sometimes 10 isn't bad, sometimes 15 feels colder somehow.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I messed with it today and the problem is the end of the center pulley unscrews and binds up. I tried different combinations of shims but nothing works. I suppose this is one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" things. I read the manual and it doesn't say anything about it and it only shows one washer on the back side as a thrust washer. Do I need to put locktite on the threads or pean them>

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
DanP said:
I messed with it today and the problem is the end of the center pulley unscrews and binds up. I tried different combinations of shims but nothing works. I suppose this is one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" things. I read the manual and it doesn't say anything about it and it only shows one washer on the back side as a thrust washer. Do I need to put locktite on the threads or pean them>
That screw is suppose to be LEFT HAND thread.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not the LH screw the whole pulley comes off. Both end pulleys screw onto the center shaft and one of them is what is coming off.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
I don't know, I never had one of those apart???
That set of pulleys rotates on the shaft smoothly?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts