Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
tinkerer
2,348 Posts
You're right about that pulley plate being a dumb idea.
I have an engine with a similar modification where I ended up using a solid pulley on the front of the engine for the starter/generator.
However, I did think about the air flow and drilled 1-1/4 diameter holes all the way around the pulley.
There hasn't been any problem with overheating.

I imagine the new engine will have the correct starter on it so that will solve the air flow problem ?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
You sure would think anyone capable of adapting the starter system would have thought of the air flow!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
olcowhand said:
You sure would think anyone capable of adapting the starter system would have thought of the air flow!
They solved the immediate problem but didn't look at the consequences of what they were doing. Result - blown engine. When I was a kid I repaired a stripped kick starter on a Honda XL175 by drilling it out and putting in a longer bolt with a nut. It started fine but I soon noticed my foot was wet. When the starter shaft rotated, the end of the bolt punched a nice hole in the magnesium side cover and it proceeded to spew out all the oil in the crankcase. I learned a good lesson there about making sure you look at the big picture whenever you modify anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts