Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if a voltage regulator such as this one could be used to replace the old mechanical regulator
such as the one on my Cub Cadet 106. Has anyone tried this swap? I know one member has used a H-D
voltage regulator but the cost was around $40. This regulator for a B&S is about 1/4 the cost.

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,037 Posts
Does your Cub Cadet use a stator under the flywheel or a starter generator?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I wondered if a voltage regulator such as this one could be used to replace the old mechanical regulator
such as the one on my Cub Cadet 106. Has anyone tried this swap? I know one member has used a H-D
voltage regulator but the cost was around $40. This regulator for a B&S is about 1/4 the cost.
That is a rectifier voltage regulaor for an alternator not usable with a generator

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,037 Posts
Its the old Delco starter/generator.
A generator (or starter/generator) requires a regulator that can limit both the current output as well as the voltage level. A generator will not self limit current output the way an alternator or stator set up does and as a result under certain conditions can overheat if the current it is producing is not regulated.

I made an electronic regulator for my Bolens 1053 that limits both current and voltage that should work with your Delco starter generator if it is a 12 volt negative ground system.

Here is a link to the thread if you are interested - Electronic Voltage Regulator For Bolens 1053 Project

1 - 7 of 7 Posts