Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've had some luck with those before by putting the warped side gasket side down on a hard solid piece of steel and gently tapping around the edge with a small hammer. Don't want to hit it too hard because it could crack or warp even more. Doesn't always work but sometimes it brings it down enough to make a good seal. Stewart

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Lay a piece of glass, thicker the better, on a hard flat surface. Lay a piece of fine sandpaper on the glass and start working the warped side of the carb in a circular motion. Don't put much pressure on. let the sandpaper do the cutting. When you get it real close to flat again use a felt marker and go over the entire surface your working on. When the marking disappears your probably as flat as your going to get it. May have to change the sand paper several times depending on how much you have to take off. Good luck.

·
DR. Bolens
19,075 Posts
If its not bad you can sand them , but knowing how these L80's get from years of over tightening the gap can be too big to sand, I take a small amount of JB weld on the edge of the area and it works for me, you just chisel it off when its time to clean them.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If its not bad you can sand them , but knowing how these L80's get from years of over tightening the gap can be too big to sand, I take a small amount of JB weld on the edge of the area and it works for me, you just chisel it off when its time to clean them.
This may/maynot work, but a flat file with a good eye is faster. Time is all you have to loose at this point!!!!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Put some paper thin washers(small diameter) between the top and bottom casting on each bolt hole(leave screw's lose),tap lightly with a rubber or leather hammer until flat,I do this holding the carb in my left hand

·
Tractorholic
8,358 Posts
You might want to put the top and bowel together without anything , snug the screws then go around . With a feeler gauge . That might give you an idea on which option to use . I'm thinking a thicker softer gasket might seal but would that let the top warp even more ?

Reactions: pfc123
1 - 14 of 14 Posts