Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I was over checking out some tractors at a guys house he had for sale and he showed me a John deere 317 that he is thinking of selling Its in pretty nice shape with the series 2 Kohler engine in it and solid mower deck and a snow blower and the books for the tractor and I asked him what he was asking and he said as a package $900.00 I told him id think about it does this sound like a good deal and are those John deeres any good Thank you everyone for the help

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
At least it has the KT17 Series 2 in it. If it was a Series 1 I'd really want to know my machine.

Personally, I would want more attachments for that kind of money. That's just my opinion.

To really answer your question though, "are those John Deeres any good," I'd have to say absolutely positively not. :smilewink:

Ben W.

·
Getting Out!
8,219 Posts
Seems high to me, specially that old of model. KT-17's not a good engine in my opinion, no matter what series. Most brands had those, and most broke rods easy. Soon they come out with the 18hp, much better and JD had the 318 then. Features on the tractor are great! Easy to buy attachments if wanted.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Nothing wrong with the series 2 KT17, only differance between it and the later Mag 18 is a tad bit of carburation and the mag has electronic ignition over the KT's points style. They are a PITA to overhaul but a good engine overall. Cheaper to overhaul than the Onan that came in the later 300 class tractors. The blower alone would fetch $300 when its snow season around here. The tractor in good running shape with a good mower deck would fetch the $900 localy right now with grass growing in high gear. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
If you only have flat ground to mow that KT-17 motor should hold out....remember to check oil level and keep it full. $900 seems a little high, but riding mowers are costly right now...even junk on C L is priced too high. If you want a J D, I would hold out for a 318...power steering is great feature with a snow blower!

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
The KT-17 Series II is as solid as any Onan. I just can't see that much for a tractor without power steering. IMHO .. :(

But maybe worth it to some in other parts of the country. :thumbs:

Bottom line is if you like it, want it and can afford it. Buy it..

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just sold a nice 317 with series II & mower deck $1800. I see them up here on KIJIJI between $1500 and $3000 with just mower deck. Geography play huge roll. Check out your area prices.

I figure if it still has original engine after 30 to 35 years (These are from the early 80's right) its probably good for a while yet. I would think the lemons long ago blown up.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If you only have flat ground to mow that KT-17 motor should hold out....remember to check oil level and keep it full. $900 seems a little high, but riding mowers are costly right now...even junk on C L is priced too high. If you want a J D, I would hold out for a 318...power steering is great feature with a snow blower!
True if it is a series one but the tractor in question has a series two, which has full pressure lubrication. We mow with a Cub Cadet 782 with a series two and have NO problems on the hills.

·
Tacos!
1,082 Posts
Probably too late to add my 2 cents but I very much liked my 317 I used to have. Loads of power, my snowblower could throw snow a mile. I didn't mow much with it but what little I did it did very well. I worked my 317 hard and it always impressed me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.