Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tractorholic
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent over two hours today trying to remove the broken internal snap ring on the p/s cyl. on the Ford 3400 , I believe the old snap rings rusted away and couldn't hold back the plastic piece between the snap ring and seal . Both sides looked the same , here's the second side before I started on the first ,

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Grass

They both had the eyes rusted off that you would put the snap-ring pliers in , I tried little picks, awls punches ,I could tap it around but rust must have pinched it tight ,,went very hard ,couldn't get behind it , I just about lost my cool then thought about parts I've seen through the years with reliefs build in to get parts apart :wallbanging: :wallbanging: . About 45 seconds with a die grind cut the relief in and then the snap-ring popped out , The second side only took a few minutes , I'm sure less time then it's going to take to clean out the snap-ring grove that I boggered up trying to get it the first one off :wallbanging:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Yellow Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle fork Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Bumper

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,686 Posts
So , what would do if you did not have a die grinder?? Just wondering. Noel

·
Tractorholic
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the 4 1/2" right angle grinder first but would have made too big of groove . Tough question , I've had that electric die grinder for a long time 40 years lol . Its one of those tools that you buy but only use it a few times a year. Do have a 1/4" right angle and straight air ones too. Now that you got me thinking , I have a Sears roto zip type tool with small 1/8" bits that would have made a very neat little relief . I'm sure there are other ways too but that's what I came up with.

·
Tractorholic
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just so much work to get done , I want to get the main tractor painted before it gets too cold , the sheet metal I can paint in the garage .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.