Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a break with the hit and miss engines I was visiting the local scrap yard and spotted a pair of Waterloo walk behind tractors they are rather tough but though over time I could make one tractor from two .After visting the Wisconsin web site I learned the Model AB were made in Feburay and June 1948 so probably the tractors are 1949 ,s . One has a decent original plow and the other is unknown and just a little modified it amazes me you look over the wear and tear on these units you can only imagine the years of toil they have seen .

One has a fair amount of welding on it seems the handles were the weak link but even to wear down the 6 x 16 tires how many miles walked was that ? One engine is loose the other seized I have been spraying everything with oil and removing the bits of wire that goes with the farm use . One tag on the frame is gone but the other I can,t read right now the drain plugs are out on both cause winter is coming and the garage save for a kerosene heater I picked up road side it will be cold soon enough. Will post back when I make some progress .Cheers Mike Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
WoooHooo!!!! You have two, count them, two of the first 500 model 30's built!! They changed the clutch lever mechanism & added the X brace between the handles at sn600 (they started at 101). Mucho jealous!! My lowest sn is 862. If you are parting with one, let me know!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark it is good to hear from you again ,the machines sat for about a month I told the yard you would probably calll about them I got them yesterday as I could not stop thinking they might get crushed.The one engine was removed but I got it too ,the X braces are different one has flat bar one has round rod the June engine unit has the flat bar type.

For sure I will email you you when things get sorted out will post some more pictures later and a shot of the unknown plow that was attached .Going by memory think the plow is like the one I gave you but this one has had a knife welded on .So it is offical they are Waterloo 30,s good to know thought maybe early 40,s but I don,t know much about these glad you saw them. Cheers Mike

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yes, they are 30s. 15s & 20s used the Clinton engine. The 30s and 40s used the Wisconsin.

30s & 40s are differentiated by the clutch rmechanism. The 40s used an idler pulley to take up the slack in the drive belt. The 30s rotated the gear case to take up the slack.

You can tell the difference between pre vs post sn600 by the clutch rod routing & the clutch lever. Notice on yours how the lever is flat bar bent at 90 degrees, and how the rod goes above the handlebars, while on mine the lever is curved and the rod goes through the bars. Oddly, in the third picture (sn265), the clutch lever is sideways of yours. Given that and the X bracing, I would put yours post sn265 but pre-sn600.

By the way, I meant to say "the first 500 Waterloo tractors made". Waterloo ran the serial numbers sequentially, regardless of which model was being produced so that the serial number is never duplicated., i.e. 265 is a model 30, but 264 &/or 266 may have been a model 15 or even a Supremacy line tractor.

Model 30 (sn1094) Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Agricultural machinery
Plant Bicycle tire Bicycle part Grass Terrestrial plant

Model 30 (sn265) Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Model 40 Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
... the X braces are different one has flat bar one has round rod the June engine unit has the flat bar type. ...
Now you have me wondering ... Yours have X braces, which should be post sn600, but the pre sn600 clutch. Does the driven pulley have a 3/16" square key or 3/8" woodruff key? One belt guide per engine or two? Would you send me the engine serial numbers so I can add them to the survivors list?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waterloo with engine mounted is Model AB Serial 1122818 Spec 58982 June 1948 the the other is Model AB Serial 1036162 Feburay 1948 Spec 56826 . I meant to ask also did all the 40,s have cast iron driven pulley and the 30 the lighter aluminium ? The one has a double engine belt guards the other just one the driven pulley has a 1/4 " key .

Toy Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Gas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Took the old rotted tires off for garabage today and got the siezed engine mostly free just sticking on the inlet valve lifter the June engine had a Eisemann magneto on it which had growth all over it . Since I had time I cleaned it up had to cut the head off one screw to remove the cap after carefull cleaning and gapping the points the mag fires great now .Even the impusle coupler is working pretty good quality back then I would say. Cheers Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
There are 3 listed in the manual:

101 to 600 = B127-14 (triple pulley, quick removal),

601 to 1243 = B127-258 (double pulley, quick removal), &

1243 & up = B127-286 (double pulley, fixed).

The switch from 30s to 40s was somewhere between my sn 1094 & your sn 1260. If the switch happened at 1243, all 40s would use the case iron pulley. It would also mean your sn1260 is one of the first 40s off the line. I see the tractor with the engine installed has the triple pulley.

A single belt guard is consistent with pre-600. They switched to two at 601.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I couldn't help but notice your frames are different than my 30's. On yours, the flat bar for the engine studs (white arrow) hangs over the edge but mine are flush with the edge. It looks like yours has the front U shaped piece welded to the outside of the frame rails (red arrow), while mine is inside the frame rails.

Yours

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Mine

Wheel Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Leaf Wood Automotive tire Grass Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine tool Gas Engineering

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for looking it over ,I have a question do you think the handle bar with the lower rod is correct ? It looks like it has been there forever only one is like that ,while both the engine mounts are the same .Picked up a new drive belt also a Gates 6949 green belt B belt .

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Barrel

Both carbs are Marvel Schebler V14 stamped 12/47 ,if I can,t get the float to seal off going to have to replace needle and seat . Cheers Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
... do you think the handle bar with the lower rod is correct ? It looks like it has been there forever only one is like that ,while both the engine mounts are the same . ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_20161017_123010.jpg
I was going to say it didn't look factor because of the bad welding, but then I found this picture in their flyer. It isn't all that clear, but you can just see the same rod between the handles if you turn your head and squint with the eye of faith.

Water Vertebrate Black-and-white Recreation Art

The belt length will depend on the pulley combination.

On sn265, there are two brackets welded to the sides of the handle bars. Do either of yours have them? Any idea what they are for?

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mark ,yes one tractor has those lower ears that one had no lube holes in the wheel hubs but a grease fitting under the centre of the axle .The other one with the towel rack had greaseable hubs no centre grease fitting after returning from the car wash pretty sure the lower bar is original as it had specks of paint on it. Here is a picture of the one with the lower ears , not sure what it was for maybe a scuffler / cultivator .Something that later proved a dud and was dropped . Cheers Mike

Wood Automotive tire Flooring Floor Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That is odd. I would assume the towel rack tractor to be older, since that part disappeared eventually. My sn862 has the centre axle grease fitting and the hub fitting. I can understand why they would add a grease fitting to the centre axle, but why they would have stopped making them with grease fittings for a while is a mystery. Do the hub castings have a part number embossed in them? Do all four sets have the same part numbers? I have one tractor with one hub that is an oddball. I also have a set of hubs with a larger bore hole.

Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle accessory
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle brake

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts