Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I took a certification test in my welding class. Even though school is over I went in to the welding class today so I could see, and help bend the test pieces. Well, I passed! Each test plate has two strips cut out and bent, each one had a tiny hole that opened up, but it was still well within the tolerances.

There where 9 that took it, and 8 of us passed; the one fail had lack of fusion and split wide open. One of the 9 did an overhead plate, as well as vertical, but it had a lot of porosity in it and we knew it would fail before I even bent it.

I am now certified by the American Welding Society to weld in the flat, horizontal, and vertical positions on any thickness, with any electrode.

Next year, I hope to take the overhead portion.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Congrats Ryan! I've been watching, but not commenting, and I must say I am not surprised that you passed. However, from your descriptions, I AM surprised so many from your class did so well! Kudos to them also.

Reactions: Ryan313

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a picture of what the joint was like; these are from a different certification test I took last month, but the fit up is exactly the same thing. The joint is 5 inches long, 1 inch plates with a 45 degree V-groove, and a 3/8 backing strip.

39C6CBEF-D642-463D-BD71-0E1A2435F300-394

The two strips are taken one inch in each direction from the center. Here are my two strips after the bend test. You can see that each one has a small hole.

CA7B5ADA-B559-4887-AA23-A6B526CD3CF0-161

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Good job, Ryan! :thumbs: You now have the permission of the forum to repair anything that needs to be fixed on anyone's tractor. Give me a call this week and I will let you know what day works best for you to knock down the things I need done.

In all seriousness, though, great work! I'm sure you feel proud!

Ben W.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Great job. :thumbs:

When the Navy trained me, they only taught us vertical and overhead.

They figured we would learn the rest on board the ship.

Overhead is actually the easiest to get quality welds, even easier than flat.

We bent first, then x-rayed later in training.

·
Super Moderator
55,507 Posts
Way to go, Ryan! With that many passing, your teacher knows how to do his job!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.