Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
The guy I was working with today, he and I left Buffalo and headed down the 90. Cold, wind, that was bout it. Bout 20mins out we came into the Angola area and it was like hitting a wall. It continued for the next 9 hrs without any let up at all as we traveled thru Dunkirk/Fredonia, then down thru Westfield, then into Harborcreek, Millcreek, Peninsula, Girard and Erie PA. We headed back for Buffalo and never came out of it til we hit bout Hamburg NY just before Buffalo. That whole region got a total of about 14-16 inches throughout the day and are expected to reach a total of 28-30 inches by Wednesday morning. I take the same route Mon-Fri and have been for 8yrs so this will be a long week as I've seen so many times in the past. Here are a few pics I took along the way.

Car Sky Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Hood Automotive mirror Window Windscreen wiper Rear-view mirror

Window Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Vehicle Automotive design

Water Sky Fluid Dusk Liquid

Attachments

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be careful out there!
Always!! Every year its the same areas where you see people in the median and sadly its usually truckers or younger kids (boys & girls).....people think they can do 80mph on any surface

Reactions: boyscout862

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
I'm sure you guys will be careful. It's the idiots that cause the most problems. Glad I'm not driving in that stuff!

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stay safe!

My favorite is "I have four wheel drive so I don't need to slow down" :wallbanging:
yea only I have years of experience in snow and I will say this: people need to remember 4wd isn't for driving!! It's to get you in/out of stuck places. It's 10x harder to pull out of a skid, slide, etc while in 4wd.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Ah yes....good old Lake Effect Snow coming off of Lake Erie.

I'm just on the edge of that, and all we got was a light dusting. Not even enough to cover the grass.

For me to get that, the wind has to be mostly out of the NNW to ENE

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
I'm just glad I don't have to deal with mess. You all be careful out there. as it has been said watch out the idiot's.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
That looks nasty. It must have been a long tiring journey. I hear you about 4wd being dangerous at times. If you have an old style 4wd with the hubs locked then it's a handfull. I drive a Subaru Forester AWD. Modern AWD vehicles with traction control and stability control systems are actually very hard to put in a skid to start with and actively correct in most conditions. My rule is to go softly and leave lots of room and time to react to what's going on around me. Many people just drive too fast in bad road conditions.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
It's working its way south to here. There is a chance the storm coming from up from southern OH will mesh with the one in Erie and make a bigger mess. So far it's just a normal winter storm. Oh the joys of winter :D

That's a rough road this time of year FL, be careful & watch out for the idiots.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
yea only I have years of experience in snow and I will say this: people need to remember 4wd isn't for driving!! It's to get you in/out of stuck places. It's 10x harder to pull out of a skid, slide, etc while in 4wd.
There is no way you would think that if you drove the roads up here.. Some don't get plowed for weeks.. You NEED to drive in 4wd. When my dually slides sideways due to a ridge in the road if i am in 2wd i would be stuck in a heart beat.

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is no way you would think that if you drove the roads up here.. Some don't get plowed for weeks.. You NEED to drive in 4wd. When my dually slides sideways due to a ridge in the road if i am in 2wd i would be stuck in a heart beat.
well duals are horrible for snow regardless wether its in a pickup or heavy truck because the snow packs between them. Many people think it makes it better for traction and having many it does not. I meant on general conditions 4wd is NOT intended for driving like how most think they can put vehicle in 4wd and do 50+ right down the highway. I do agree that it is required to drive some in some areas.

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FL, Are you independent or who do you pull for? Do you pulls doubles?
Armored transport straight truck (10 wheeler). I pretty much run Gold, Silver, precious metals etc from place to place. Our truck weighs 36k empty and gains alot more weight quickly. I'm usually always the driver but not yesterday. I will be today and I'm alot more used to hauling in this stuff than the guy I was with yesterday. He did a really good job tho and we're both safe so I won't complain.

·
Tractorholic
952 Posts
What are those armoured trucks like to drive, Farmlife? They always look unwieldy to me, like they'd be a handful even on dry pavement. Mind you, I seem to be a natural born flat-bedder, so I think anything with sides and a roof is a little odd.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts