Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sorry for the dirty word.

My 1855 is now DOA. Guess I don't have to worry about tires or chains now. Whilst blowing snow the other day, it started missing occasionally, then straightened up. By the time I was able to limp back to the house, it is running very badly, like one cylinder is RIP. Now she won't start. Does not make me very happy, now I have to snow blow 1/2 mile long driveway with a walk behind Snapper. I'm a little disabled and can hardly walk, this sure messed up my winter. Sad day for me. Sorry for the whinning, I'm just depressed about it. I might even have to lower my standards and use my neighbors weed green with 3 point blower. Naaa.... I walk and take more meds.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'm not familiar with an 1855. I only know cub cadets, so excuse my ignorance, but what type of tractor is this?

What are the symptoms of the tractor, did it just stop, or won't restart, what? A little more information please, or do you know it's roached for sure?

·
Registered
749 Posts
You have my luck,Stuff only breaks when you really need or your broke and can't afford to fix it.... keep your chin up it's gotta get better :thumbs: Maybe someone has a cheep motor or parts for a speedy repair, good luck

·
Registered
327 Posts
Take the cover off the air breather on top of the carb and make sure that all 3 screws are still holding the air breather to the carb I had the exact same problem and turned out that one of those screws came loose went through the carb and stuck the intake valve open which in turn caused the exact same symptoms you are having Its definitely worth a quick look if a screw is missing then its probably holding the valve open Several people have come across the same trouble

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
As stated, check the throttle plate, and it could be the coil or the condensor.

Guy on MTF was having similar problem, his would run good when started then miss and choke at high rpm after it got warm. Ended up his condensor went out.

I've heard people have used dual Chevy coils on these since the double coil can be expensive.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Don't give up on it. A bit of troubleshooting may result in an easy fix. After checking the throttle plate as noted above I would look for broken, loose or burnt wires etc. I'd check for spark and make sure you have a nice blue snappy spark at both plugs. Have a look at the points and maybe check the timing. Make sure the battery is up to normal voltage etc. Give it a good once over. You may turn up the issue doing these basic checks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I suspect that the Ignition system got wet. I had to put new wires on mine and covered the coil up with a homemade cover made out of a plastic bottle, It ran so badly I thought it was a goner, Just melted snow in the wrong spot.

·
141 Posts
I suspect that the Ignition system got wet. I had to put new wires on mine and covered the coil up with a homemade cover made out of a plastic bottle, It ran so badly I thought it was a goner, Just melted snow in the wrong spot.
That's a great tip for any snow blowing unit.

Also, be sure to heed the warning to NEVER stick your hand in to clear a jam (even a shut down unit) since the stretched belt stores energy. They will take your hand off and you will have a dumb look on your face till you figure out how stupid that was.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you give up on this im sure you can part it out on here or sell it outright and make money on it cause there a lot of us looking for 1855 parts tractors These parts sell really fast on ebay that's why there are very few parts listed on ebay

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for da suggestions y'all. When I get time, I will tear into it to find the problem. If it can be repaired, it will. If eng. is toast, it will be replaced. I had already replaced the coil with a new one, so coil I think is not the problem. Spark plug or wire is what I'm hoping for. Won't know until I have time, probably this spring. Got way to many projects that need looked to first.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, it 35 today so I decided to try to start her. She finally started, but ran really bad. I pulled the air filter cover off, started her again. All the mount screws are still there. While running, it appears as if one of the cylinders is blowing it's compression out the carb. Either a seat dropped, or the intake valve is stuck open. Do these Onan B48M engines have valves, or reeds? I'm also curious now, how can one clyinder fire when the other cylinder is blowing all it's compression into it and also out the carb?

At $120 for the Onan mechanics to work on them in town, I just don't know what to do now. I sure as heck not going to let them work on it. Are these easy to repair? I'm a back-yard mechanic, just not a small eng. mech.

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
Not sure what tools you have or not but if you get it running again you could feel the heads to see if they a firing close to the same if you have a bad cyl plug ect you'll feel a big difference If thesame maybe a restriction in the exhaust ? I'm sure others will also have ideas for you too

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not an exhaust restriction, checked that. It has a new coil/wires/plugs. With it blowing the compression stroke back out the carb, it has to be an intake valve stuck open I would assume. BUT, I'm not a small eng. mech. Guess I will become one eventually owning an onan. I have tools, I used to work as an industrial mechanic, and spent 20 yrs as an aircraft tech. I know I can figure it out, the biggest problem I think is getting over the fear of a small eng. Never had one apart... first time for everyone I guess. Anny/All the hints/suggestions I can get before I actually tear into this eng is greatly appriciated.

·
Super Moderator
54,362 Posts
Reactions: Alc

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
Keep us posted of what you find , good luck !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts