Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Always learning something!
1,284 Posts
Something got me to thinking this morning, I wonder how close guys/gals on GTTalk have come to running across other GTTalk members who have tractors with S/N that are close enough to where it's believable that the tractors were on the same assembly in a manufacturing facility somewhere in the mid-west some 40-50 years ago.

So, here's the challenge.........who will tell a story in this thread that comes closest to having their tractor and another GT enthusiast's tractor on the assembly line together?

"Rules"

1) The realization that your tractors S/N were within only a few numbers of each other by chance....randomly.

2) The further you are apart (distance) and the less you knew about the other person count for "style" points.

3) If you tell a good story and add pics of both tractors you get added points.

What does the winner get? Bragging rights and a ton of scornful looks from their wife when they joyfully announce they've won the contest. :bigrofl:

Let the story telling begin.

*P.S. If the space between the S/N is NOT an indication of how close the tractors where on the assembly line please let me down gently....... :D

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I would think with most the serial numbers being close together would mean they were built close to each other. I will have to see what the serial numbers are on my stuff to play.

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
Not my tractors, but I've got a good story about 2 buddies. My buddy jim brought a Vaughan Flex tred back from out west. My buddy Mike bought one here in Ohio. We were all at a show and they were comparing their tractors. The 2 tractors had consecutive numbers. This past June, I went with Jim on another of his tractor picking trips out west. He had a lead on a Vaughan. When helooked at the tag, I thought his jaw was going to hit the floor. That number was one higher than Mike's. He's got 2 tractors with one number apart and Mike's is in the middle. How often would 3 consecutive numbers turn up??

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not my tractors, but I've got a good story about 2 buddies. My buddy jim brought a Vaughan Flex tred back from out west. My buddy Mike bought one here in Ohio. We were all at a show and they were comparing their tractors. The 2 tractors had consecutive numbers. This past June, I went with Jim on another of his tractor picking trips out west. He had a lead on a Vaughan. When helooked at the tag, I thought his jaw was going to hit the floor. That number was one higher than Mike's. He's got 2 tractors with one number apart and Mike's is in the middle. How often would 3 consecutive numbers turn up??
That is a great story. Now get us a pic or two and you just might win the bragging rights (LOL).

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
I think he just won! :camera: :boo_hoo:

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he just won! :camera: :boo_hoo:
I guess we'll have to have two categories......"friend of a friend of a friend" AND "owner/operator"! Hey, there's gotta be a way to keep the contest going. :thumbs: Wouldn't it be cool to list the S/N from all the tractors (by make and model) of all the GTTalk members and see what kind of a run we could be together?

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
That would be cool, but keeping the list going and sorted might be a pain.

Reactions: Moosetales

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
I know that two of my G11's are fairly close. SNs of 0100229 and 0100296 That's 67 apart.

My 1256s are fairly close as well, 108209 and 018283 which is 74 apart.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Over on the Elec Trak site, we keep a serial number list. I'll have to check to see if anyone is next to or close to mine.

Reactions: Moosetales

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
The tractor on the cart was the one we brought home last June. It's the highest number of the 3. I have a pair of Centaurs and a pair of Utilitors that are less than 20 apart but don't have any consecutives in my collection. Sorry, I'm not much of a picture taker.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Wood
Motor vehicle Fixture Font Gas Metal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts

Attachments

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tractor on the cart was the one we brought home last June. It's the highest number of the 3. I have a pair of Centaurs and a pair of Utilitors that are less than 20 apart but don't have any consecutives in my collection. Sorry, I'm not much of a picture taker.

vaughanheaven2.JPG ws9431-640.jpg
Those are two nice looking tractors.

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Titus, I see you've stopped by the thread. I also happen to remember you recently picked yourself up a fine looking Case. I'm partial to Case tractors as I have a 444 myself. Given the theme of this thread AND given that you thought you had a 442 and it turns out to be a 444 what's your S/N on that machine? Mine is SN 9652642.

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
I don't wish to play right now, but I do have an idea.... we do have a registry on here, and if we all go update them to include serial number than that would be a record of them that the curious ones would have to look at one by one. I know it ain't all but the whole idea is dependent on participation, and if they already won't add them to the registry, I doubt they will get the serial number lol.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have two 1966 110's that are close. One is SNT1011047813 and the other is SNT1011047818. One tractor is assembled waiting for restoration, and the other is in pieces waiting to be restored and put back together.

I'm with Casey's idea. We all go back into our registry and log our serial numbers there. I think that would be the easiest way to keep track of them all.

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't wish to play right now, but I do have an idea.... we do have a registry on here, and if we all go update them to include serial number than that would be a record of them that the curious ones would have to look at one by one. I know it ain't all but the whole idea is dependent on participation, and if they already won't add them to the registry, I doubt they will get the serial number lol.
Great idea. This is where you are talking about, right?

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/garage/

I'm on it.

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'd say DougT wins the "prize" while Texas Deere & Travis come in with a close second. Nice work both of you. :worshippy1:

NOW FOR MY CONFESSION......Titus recently purchased a Case 444 and come to find out our S/N were really close:

Titus has S/N 9652642 while my Case has S/N 9652632. We both told our wives and here were there responses:

[My Wife] As I said to Titus in a PM..."You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I told her about this.......yes it was priceless......she tried to muster some excitement but it was in vain."

[Titus' Wife] As Titus said to me in a PM..."My wife did about the same, she had SO much excitement, in that she went, oh yeah cool. I could have told her a bus outside blew up and she would have said the same thing. So much for paying attention right!"

So, we hatched a plan to take our COOL news to the guys and gals we knew would appreciate what we were so excited about. As it turns out, we came in 3rd in a contest we thought we had in the bag! :bigrofl:

Thanks for playing along and chiming in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts