Garden Tractor Forums banner

WH 704 Rehab

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jabelman 
#1 ·
I've had this old 704 for some time and have been gradually getting it back to running order. The 5046 transmission was completely shot, no doubt run out of lube due to leaking seals. Axle, input and brake shaft bearings were toast along with their seals.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Machine

Found a nice 5025 out of a Lawn Ranger and re-sealed and painted it along with a diesel flush and fill with 80-90 and a new shift boot.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Red Automotive wheel system Automotive design

Pulled all the sheet metal for painting and crack welding in the typical places. Ordered a set of decals from http://www.redoyourhorse.com/

and installed them in the proper locations along with the proper off-on toggle ignition switch and correct throttle and choke cables. The gas tank was cracked and I finally found a replacement with the same dimensions the only difference being it had a screw on cap where the original was a 1/4 turn, but I can live with that. New pair of 6-12 Carlisle Power Lugs and the old girl was back on her feet again.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

Finished the reassembly yesterday and terrorized the neighborhood with a few high speed passes (about 5mph tops).

Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

I think this one may see a lot of use putting around the Portland shows next year.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Kenny, I really enjoy working on these simple old machines and trying to get them back to the point that they resemble what they were supposed to look like originally. That doesn't mean I won't make a few changes here and there. This model had the really pointy fenders which I never was a fan of so.... with a saber saw and file they went from this

Wood Automotive exterior Material property Bumper Automotive lighting

to this

Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Red

Another example on this one is the tool box (in the second pic of the first post), instead of painting it, it received a healthy coating of Dupli-Color truck bed coating. No more worries about scratching the paint when you toss a hitch adapter in!

Major

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.