Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mark J.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anybody remembers "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar" from 1967 but we watched it tonight. It's about a Cougar cub adopted by a lumber mill foreman. Charlie ends up getting into trouble at just about every turn. It was filmed in the Cascade Mountains of the Pacific Northwest. I remember watching it when I was a kid so I wanted my kids to see it. They we're not to sure about watching it (they're 10 and 12) so I said "watch the first 10 minutes and see what you think." They said "ok" and after 10 minutes I told them I was going to switch the channel. They both said "No!" They continued to laugh and giggle throughout the rest of the movie. It was nice watching a movie that didn't have any cuss words or any hint of people sleeping together! I knew they would enjoy it because they also liked Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" staring Kirk Douglas from 1954. For my family, these are some of the oldie but goodies. What are some of yours ?

Oh!, and throw in some good old John Wayne "The Duke" movies while you are at it!

4e43338c62fc44ceae16e8ff3dd6130d.jpg

20000.jpg

·
Mark J.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watched the Ghost and Mr. Chicken last night. With Don Knotts. No cussing, violence or sex. Just hilarious. If you've never seen it there are a lot of cast members from the Andy Griffith show in that movie.

jhn9840
John
That is a great movie!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The older movies and the weekly shows we watched as kids were some of the best. The classics like the Honeymooners and The Andy Griffith Show can't be beat when you want a good laugh. The shows and movies seemed to always teach a lesson in life, or make a comedy out of the everyday trials of life of the common man. There's so much junk on TV now that I hardly ever watch it. On top of that, they never get the weather right anyway.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I do remember that one when I was young. I liked Ole Yellar too even though its sad at the end.

I used to like the Apple Dumpling gang and the Swiss Family Robinson too.

We have a TV in our work lunchroom, we can only get a few local channels. One channel ME TV, has the old westerns, depending on lunchtime, we watch either Gunsmoke or Bonanza, the Rifleman comes on later.

·
Tractorfanatics.com
10,292 Posts
Most of you won't remember this but, Disney once made a nature movie called something like 'True Life Adventure'. It portrayed a year in the life of the wilderness and was set to classical music. This was made back when everything was black and white and I doubt it can be found anymore.
You can buy the dvd's of it.

·
Mark J.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Mark J.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My kids and I also like "The Parent Trap" with Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith 1961.

One of the things that I like about the older movies, besides them being family friendly, is the classic cars that you get to see in them.

·
Super Moderator
6,325 Posts
I liked the tv shows of the sixties, they were not movies thou. The one movie I liked was, Arthur, with Dudley Moore in it. He was a great actor in that movie.
Today, I don't watch any movies or tv shows. Nothin worth watching.

Noel.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
"The Great Stone Face" as Buster Keaton was called, is my favorite silent film star. His movies: The General, Steamboat Willie, and The Navigator were great entertainment. Charlie Chaplin's characters were often dishonest where Buster Keatons characters were just unlucky.

Disney did great shows for 20 years that I watched. The nature shows and cartoons were the best. There are alot of great family friendly movies from the 60s. Try: Its a Mad Mad Mad World; The Russians Are Coming, The Russians are Coming; Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines; The Great Race; Sammy the Wayout Seal, and hundreds of others. A long but enjoyable movie for older kids is Little Big Man. Good Luck, Rick

·
Mark J.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"The Great Stone Face" as Buster Keaton was called, is my favorite silent film star. His movies: The General, Steamboat Willie, and The Navigator were great entertainment. Charlie Chaplin's characters were often dishonest where Buster Keatons characters were just unlucky.

Disney did great shows for 20 years that I watched. The nature shows and cartoons were the best. There are alot of great family friendly movies from the 60s. Try: Its a Mad Mad Mad World; The Russians Are Coming, The Russians are Coming; Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines; The Great Race; Sammy the Wayout Seal, and hundreds of others. A long but enjoyable movie for older kids is Little Big Man. Good Luck, Rick
I've seen most of those as well. Little Big Man is a great movie with Dustin Hoffman and it is definitely for older kids.

I was just thinking of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and the all the great brass cars in the beginning racing scene.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
My oldest Son is Shane. Named him after that movie. :thumbs:
Understand the context of that movie. Shane was the reluctant fighter(like most of our dads at that time). Shane didn't want to fight but did when he had to. Most of the dads had been fighting Japs or Krauts only 8 years before. I felt that the movie honored the strong quiet type that did what he had to, just like the dads in our neighborhood and town.

Now days, most educators would denounce the violence. The kids should not talk about some of the movies in school. Political correctness is a type of censorship, so be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
We both really liked "Zulu" with Michael Caine, Stanley Baker, and Jack Hawkins. It is about the Zulu rebellion in 1879, and is definitely not for young children as it is quite intense and realistic. If anyone is interested in history well presented, I recommend it. It was made in 1963.
I agree. I especially love that the senior 2LT was a bridge building Engineer Officer. My time as a US Army 2LT Platoon Leader was building bridges.

Baker took over and had them set up a defensive position so that they had the best chance to survive. The Infantry LT wanted to evacuate. They would have been overtaken and slaughtered by the Zulus.

Michael Caine has a new movie coming out this week. Good Luck, Rick

Caine and Connery did a fun movie in the 70s. I think it was called "The Man Who Would Be King".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.