Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hangin' with the cool kids
Ontario, Canada
2,574 Posts
I dont have a blower, but when I was a kid, my dad and I were on a Massey 35, plowing snow....I was on the back fender and we hit a raised manhole......Stopped us dead........we both ended up through the plastic windscreen and on the hood....He got the worst of it, I landed on top of him.....lol

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
My dog used to carry pieces of fire wood and leave them all over the place.Stops the blower dead thats for sure.Even had a old deer hide wrapped up one time,amazing what she'd bring home.She's no longer with us but have a young now and so far no fire wood just some hide's off of ???.Oh well the joy our dogs bring to us.Larry

·
Tractorholic
808 Posts
I live on a nicely paved street, but this winter when clearing out the end of the driveway, I hit a huge rock. I don't know where it came from....it definitely wasn't there before it snowed. I guess it dropped off the plow truck.
It wouldn't seem so strange if I lived on some dirt back road, but on my street...it was weird.
It stopped the blower cold, and started to smoke my belt.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Don't have a working blower on any of my tractors but I have run the Sunday Shopper paper through my walk-behind a couple of times. Correction, it went through once and plugged it twice. Of course my neighbor was watching me when I shredded confetti all over his yard.

·
1,499 Posts
I managed to catch an extension cord that I had used to plug in my truck in the John Deere 112 with the blower. Anyone want to by 25 one foot pieces of extension cord?

·
Collector of stuff
1,813 Posts
I have a gravel driveway.... I move much of it to my lawn every winter.:wallbanging: Usually break at least one shear pin a year doing the path to the wood pile too when I find a piece of wood dropped into the snow....
Peter

·
11 Posts
My Dad has had an Ariens GT18 for many years. He has been blowing his yard and the common driveway for the 5 other neighbors for many years. To be nice since in northern Wisconsin the snow builds quickly and lasts for several months he offered to also clean out a couple of the neighbors yards also so that they could just drive in when they would come up for the weekends. Strike #1 after a relatively small, but too much to let build snowfall my Father went to one of the neighbors to blow out their yard. Soon after beginning he heard some unusual noise disengaging the blower and stopping the tractor he found that he had wrapped up most of the dog chain that had been left out in the yard. Go back to the unheated garage get out the bolt cutter and start cutting it out before resuming the cleanup. The next time that they were up he asked that be more careful.
Strike#2 after one of the then frequent 24-30" snowfalls that winter his tractor came to an abrupt stop while cleaning out the yard of the same neighbor. He knew that the loud clunk was not a good sign. He disengaged the blower, backed up and that is when he found a piece of firewood very tightly stuck in the 48" auger. He then remembered that the neighbor had parked his snowmobile trailer in that area and must have used it to keep the tongue of the snowmobile trailer out of the snow. Apparently in a hurry when they left they just left it there for him to find the next time he blew snow. A rebuild of the blower gear box was soon needed. He then told them that he no longer could do the snow removal for their yard.

I just bought a GT 19 with a blower and mower and will need to be sure to watch for objects that my two dogs might leave out in the yard so that I don't repeat the same experience.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
brzezinski01:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

·
Tractorholic
428 Posts
Idk when i did this, but one year I lost a tire chain off my tractor. So the next day i used the walkbehind because the tractor went nowhere without the chain. SO now i'm pussing back a pile from yesterday, and i hit something that stopped that lil 5hp Tecumseh dead. I pull it back, lo and behold, its the tire chain i lost yesterday lodged in the auger.

·
Bolensholic
303 Posts
Havn't got to use my castor yet. :itsok: but down in Va. I hit a 10" long piece of 1/4" chain In the fenced in back yard with the push mower:confuse: It didn't even throw the chain, but the mower jumped about a foot and a half up and stopped it cold. I finished the yard at idle with a bent shaft then put it to the curb. It sat there for over two weeks before someone took it lol. everyone in the area knew If I threw something out it was beond any hope of repair :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.