Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, sent my hydraulic cylinder off to have professionally rebuilt because I don't trust myself to do it right. Now when I get it back I'd like some advice. I have a Snapper 1650 and it call for ATF for the hydro but now there are several variations for different applications. Does it make a difference which kind I use? Recommendations? Thanks, Reg

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Would think DExron 3 is newest best choice in ATF, BUT, really think the Universal Hytrans or whatever name they use tractor fluid is the best for most any hydraulic app now days. It's many times just clear and is used in the hydraulics AND the gear boxes of most modern tractors.

·
372 Posts
The manual recommends type MF M-1110 ATF. Most of the Universal tractor fluid hydraulic oil will have the specs on the label just make sure it has M-1110. TRAVELLER® RENEW for Older Tractors Universal Tractor Trans fluid that Tractor supply shows it covers M-1110.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
In hot weather conditions, you can even use straight 30wt motor oil.

·
Tractorholic
1,711 Posts
The snapper 1855 manual calls for Type F ATF. High heat or heavy duty applications 20wt or 30wt. Both of mine are running ATF type F equivalent.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
I don't know if you plan on using this in cold climates for moving snow or not but if you do ATF might be your best choice. From my experience the hy-tran oils and straight weights can get very thick at low temperatures.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
I "think" you'll find that the newer ATF's can tolerate heat as well as any mineral oil but flow better in the cold.

If I'm wrong about this I would welcome hearing from you.

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
Over 60% of the 2500 hours on my 1655 are at winter temps, down to as low as -29°. I run Dexron in both the hydro and the loader and they both perform well. I cycle all cylinders full stroke 2-4 times (depending on the ambient temperature) at a bit above idle to generate a bit of heat at startup then put it to work.

·
1,087 Posts
I don't know it it is ok to used them,but I always just buy oil filters from Fram. I thike the last one I bought was somewhere around $7 Canadian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts