Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After re cleaning carb and fuel pump, and going over it twice.. It runs. Idles good, but it struggles to throttle up when given WOT. Take a look at this video. The fuel filter isn’t really full, but when the line is taken off, the bit of fuel that’s at the inlet nipple gets sucked in when I start it. What’s going on?

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. Pump works good. Main jet is not clogged. It’s something else carb related. What could it be? 2 cents would be appreciated

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,051 Posts
Couple things to check.

Check the fuel line coming from the tank and the valve on the bottom of the tank for obstructions. Check the Fuel Inlet in the carb. Blow compressed air back through the carb down though where the needle sits because garbage likes to collect just under the seat.

How much fuel flow do you have directly from the tank? Take the fuel line off and Let it run into a clear soda bottle. If it dribbles or slows down or you only have like 1/2 a stream coming out of the fuel line then you have an obstruction.

My 582 had a part yellow jacket stuck in the petcock in the bottom of the tank and a couple flakes of dirt or something in the fuel inlet under the float needle seat. It still got fuel but the fuel level in the filter never got above 1/2 and the fuel level in the carb was less than 1/2 full after running it and taking the top of the carb off.

After running it is the fuel level in the carburetor Full? Possibly the float level needs set as well.

Also those paper element filters don't like Ethanol fuel. The pleats tent to restrict flow when the water in the Ethanol fuel gets sucked through it.

Water is Much thicker than gasoline and Ethanol Fuel Does contain Water which will separate and stop up a paper filter that's why paper elements are used in Water Separators. Water will not flow though a paper pleated filter.

Neighbor had me look at his Camp generator the other day and the carb had gas in it and a small drop of water in the bottom but the filter was completely full of water. He said it would run for 5-10 minutes and then just shut off. Gas that was in it was 1 year and the water had separated in the filter or the bottom of the tank and got stuck in the filter. The filter was literally water logged. It had a Fram cartrage type filter in it with a replaceable element. I put a cheap Briggs filter on it that has the stainless mesh screen in it and fuel flow was fixed for $5. Filter element for the other filter was $20 and it would have done it again because it's a camp generator that sits for 6-8 months of the year in his camper with gas in it.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh. Seems like Briggs opposed twin carbs are always having issues. Both yours and mine...
The carbs are crappy, but the engine is just so damn good! I will take a Briggs opposed over any kohler twin, or onan twin.

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maybe it needs a valve adjustment? I think Briggs opposed twins have adjustable valves. That might be worth checking. Good luck!
I'm 99% sure the valves are not adjustable. Sure sounds like a carb issue to me. If it runs OK on part choke you could do that for a while. Sometimes those things will work themselves out after running awhile.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple things to check.

Check the fuel line coming from the tank and the valve on the bottom of the tank for obstructions. Check the Fuel Inlet in the carb. Blow compressed air back through the carb down though where the needle sits because garbage likes to collect just under the seat.

How much fuel flow do you have directly from the tank? Take the fuel line off and Let it run into a clear soda bottle. If it dribbles or slows down or you only have like 1/2 a stream coming out of the fuel line then you have an obstruction.

My 582 had a part yellow jacket stuck in the petcock in the bottom of the tank and a couple flakes of dirt or something in the fuel inlet under the float needle seat. It still got fuel but the fuel level in the filter never got above 1/2 and the fuel level in the carb was less than 1/2 full after running it and taking the top of the carb off.

After running it is the fuel level in the carburetor Full? Possibly the float level needs set as well.

Also those paper element filters don't like Ethanol fuel. The pleats tent to restrict flow when the water in the Ethanol fuel gets sucked through it.

Water is Much thicker than gasoline and Ethanol Fuel Does contain Water which will separate and stop up a paper filter that's why paper elements are used in Water Separators. Water will not flow though a paper pleated filter.

Neighbor had me look at his Camp generator the other day and the carb had gas in it and a small drop of water in the bottom but the filter was completely full of water. He said it would run for 5-10 minutes and then just shut off. Gas that was in it was 1 year and the water had separated in the filter or the bottom of the tank and got stuck in the filter. The filter was literally water logged. It had a Fram cartrage type filter in it with a replaceable element. I put a cheap Briggs filter on it that has the stainless mesh screen in it and fuel flow was fixed for $5. Filter element for the other filter was $20 and it would have done it again because it's a camp generator that sits for 6-8 months of the year in his camper with gas in it.
Thanks for your advice. I had the carburetor apart again. The main jet had some junk in it. As well as the line! The fuel line from the filter, to the pump, was rock solid. And the inner diameter of the line shrunk. Causing a restriction of flow. Number one.. Number two, the carburetor needed an air filter or element. The carb spits up some fuel droplets, having an air filter on doesn’t let them fly everywhere out of the carb. With cleaning the carb again, new line, and the air filter back on, it runs much better.

The fuel I drained, filtered, and re filled. And found some junk, but no water. I have a bit of sea foam in the fuel.

There is no longer a surging idle, and there is no longer a sputtering full throttle. Although very slight hesitation, it gets better the more I run it. Thanks for your help. I hope your advice helps someone else who may look at this thread.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s a video of it running. I almost thought that it’s fuel pump went again. Started to surge a bit. I turned the idle speed up a hair, and runs much more strongly, and smooth. The tractor never liked to idle low. Always likes to idle higher. But runs good regardless.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When is the last time it had a new set of plugs put in it? Sounds like 1 is randomly missfiring a bit.

It should have Champion J19LM or RJ19LM plugs in it. The J19LM will last longer because it's a non resistor plug.
I put 2 new plugs from Briggs and Stratton in very recently. And gapped to spec. Briggs part # 394539

·
Registered
212 Posts
Briggs opposed twins seem prone to misfiring/hickupping a bit, at around 1/4-1/2 throttle espescially.

BTW once I bought some (Genuine?) Briggs plugs and when I put one in a engine, it really surged bad. A year or two or three? Later Put an old dirty Champion in and it ran good. I have had no issues with Champion plugs. However I think Briggs genuine plugs might be made by Champion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts